Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Whatever

It seems to me that reading my blog is probably worth the effort I put into reading others' blogs. That is to say, I scan them, decide if I think the person is funny, provacative, or worthwhile in some other way. But, make no mistake, it's all about the scan (or the skim if you prefer). No deep reading for me. I had a friend once, a rabid comic fan, who claimed that he judged a comic book by how quickly he could read it. Thousands of dollars a year the man spent, and he judged the things by how little time he could spend with them. Whatever.

I guess I decided that I was tired of being a "guest" in the great chat room that is the internet. So, here's what I've got to say for now.

First, I wish my cold would go away. People look at you differently when you have a cold.

Second, I wish I owned a hybird car that was comfortable and plush, but still made me feel good.

Third, I can't tell whether I should be mad at my new dog (I've had her for five months, so she's not that new) for her behavior this morning. She slammed one of our cats into a pillow, put the other cat's head in her mouth, and then jumped up and licked my bagel. After which, she settled down to chew her rawhide. I want to act like that sometimes. Just do random, slightly wacky, slightly hostile things, but then be nice right afterwards.

I could be ever-so literary and cite Melville's bit about Ismael wanting to knock people's hats off their heads and therefore knowing he needed to go to sea. But, then look at how that turned out for him. Sure, he survived, but no-one else did. And wouldn't Starbuck be surprised what happened to his love of coffee.

Fourth, speaking of Starbuck, I am absolutely convinced that the current iteration of Battlestar Galactica is the best television show I have ever seen. I want Laura Roslyn to be president, here and now. I will be disconsolate if/when she dies. And, if I ever meet Mary McDonnell I will break the Southern California code of play-it-cool when there's a celebrity around. I will tell her how wonderful she is and ask her to be my friend.

Fifth, I'm going to stop now. It's dark here. Hope you will stop by again. Think scan or skim.

6 comments:

Teresa said...

Hey, sporks, your blog rocks! Waiting for you next post…

bryduck said...

Welcome to the interactive world! Now you, too, can feel the inexorably crushing responsibility of filling one of these up, day after countless day, stretching into the endless infinity. Or, thanks for the insight! I wish your cold would go away too, because it's affecting the way I like to spend my weekends. Lastly, and even though I've never seen BStar, I want to vote for Wiseguy as the best. show. ever. You were conducting a poll, weren't you?

Unknown said...

Battlestar Galactica is amazing. I was a fan of the first show too, though I don't know why. Maybe because I was 14. Of course, that doesn't explain my current love of the entire friday night SciFi channel lineup.

sporksforall said...

Bry--

I was going to give you props for resisting the pressure, but two posts today and I can't help but say good going. Wiseguy? Whatever.

sporksforall said...

Sandra--
The original BSG? Really? All those middle parts. And Lorne Greene. Sigh. Maybe we can do Firefly and tangerines next weekend...

sporksforall said...

RP--

I shoplifted a roll of Lifesavers in Colonial Willaimsburg when I was 11 and my life hasn't been the same since.