Search This Blog

Monday, August 27, 2007

A short guide to my perspective on Michael Vick

As a child, my dad took us to Falcons games. We had season tickets and my mother made us dress up to go to the games. Like I had to wear pantyhose dressed up. We sat in the end-zone behind the aptly chapeau'd guy we called "backwards hat" who drank beer poured into a two-liter Sprite bottle.

The Falcons were never very good, but there was the occasional glimmer of hope. The "grits blitz" was fun, in a "Po' Folks" kind of way and Steve Bartkowski could throw the ball a really long way. There were rarely guys where he threw the ball, but every once in a while, he'd get it right.

More often, they'd hand off to the fullback for two yards in three consecutive downs and punt. It reminded me of that handheld electronic football game I had.



When I left for college, I mostly left football behind me. I went to a university without a team and lived in a city with a team I couldn't bring myself to like very much.

Lately, I've been enjoying football more. Between the excitement that Mr. Vick brought to the Falcons and the naked hilarity of Blogleague football, it's back in my life. Not enough to prompt me to wear my hat backwards or drink beer out of large plastic containers, but around in a pleasant way.

The other issue in Vick situation, of course, is animals. Let me go on record. I like them. Not all of them, mind you. I've encountered unpleasant ones here and there, but as a rule, I like animals. Dogs especially. In my adult life I've owned a dog for all but about a year and a little.

Aside: Scout's mother claims that she heard that Vick used kittens as bait in training fighting dogs. I'm opposed to people making up things that aren't true. Also to kittens as bait.

Anyway, this morning I was listening to Vick's apology. I was waiting for the obligatory part. Not the apology to the kids, or the league, or the owner. Nope, I was waiting for the shout-out to Jesus. About halfway through he said,

"I'm upset with myself, and, you know, through this situation I found Jesus and asked him for forgiveness and turned my life over to God. And I think that's the right thing to do as of right now."

Whew, I thought, Took him a while to get there. But get there he did. Here's the thing. If he didn't do the shout-out, I would have been disappointed. It's not that I don't buy it (though I kinda don't), it's that I don't want the apology speech without it. It's like having a full breakfast without grits. Sure, it still "counts" as breakfast, but I KNOW there's something missing.

Here's the primer:

I like:


Football=ok

Blogleague fantasy football=a lot

Getting the Jesus shout-out in when facing prison=obligatory

Dogs=a lot

Kittens=a lot

I don't like:


Dogfighting=at all

Kitten baiting=at all

Vaguely racist stories about kittens=at all


Oh, and what do I think about Vick? I hope he meant what he said today.

6 comments:

weese said...

I have no idea how to comment on the Vick situation.
I will say this... naked blogleague fantasy football makes me happy.
(tho the naked part here in New England in the winter... does being naked under a blanket count?)

Teresa said...

T minus zero till Wen, EB, or Suz—or all three—post a comment that appropriately nasties up "naked hilarity."

Also, my mother… *shakes head forlornly*

jexebel said...

I'm going to make a point to use the phrase 'kitten baiting' in a sentence sometimes this next week.

Middle Girl said...

I think I really need to hear more about this naked blogleague fantasy football. ;-)

...and I too hope he meant what he said.

Suzanne said...

I'd like to think he meant what he said, but jeez. It took him so long to say it.

Blogleague fantasy football rocks.

alice, uptown said...

You'll notice no one ever invites Jesus to the party when s/he is in the midst of committing some heinous act.