Search This Blog

Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Bean in the Seat

When I was little, my parents had a succession of cars with which they were largely unsatisfied.  There was much lamentation about the sold VW Beetle--replaced by the unsatisfying AMC Rambler.  They replaced the Beetle because I was born.  The purchase of the Rambler was my fault.  So was the collapse of AMC.  You heard it here first.

The Rambler, in turn, was replaced by a VW 412 which overheated a lot.  The VW was replaced by a Buick Electra Limited, a behemoth whose soft steering was my comfort as I was I learning to drive.  Its landau top was forever the source of family drama because of the sparkler thrown onto it by my brother after an explicit warning not to throw sparklers.

I should note that this car lament/blame had a parallel in a story about the cat who died, because she was let out onto the busy street and run over.  As I was weeks old at the time, it was not I (in the Electra) who ran her down.  It was, nonetheless, my fault.  I was said to be the source of her "freedom" because the African-American woman who helped my mother care for me as an infant had warned that cats will "suck the life out of babies."  Thus, cat outside on busy road, and a bad end.

Anyway, back to the cars.

Got the sequence?

beetle

Gave way (because of me) to:

1965rambler

Which wasn't a good car, caused the downfall of AMC (my fault), and was replaced by:

412

Which overheated a lot.  Did I mention that my brother and I didn't get along as children?  Thusly, one of us had to ride in the "way back" over the overheating engine one summer on a trip from Atlanta to New England.  I can still remember how hot I was.  Hotbox was replaced by:

electra

There were more cars later, including the unfortunate car that became my first (handed down from my mom) and therefore the subject of my early driver accidents...

chevrolet_citation

Have you ever noticed that certain cars never make people wistful for the past?  No one longs to have a fully restored 1980 Chevrolet Citation.  And that is why GM is failing.  You heard it here first.

Anyway...

Between the 412 and the Electra, my dad bought a used car, which he drove for six or nine months.  My excellent internets-based sleuthing has led me to the conclusion that it was a mid-70s Toyota Corona.  (I knew it was a Toyota, I knew approximately when we had it, and then I recognized it while looking at google images of mid-70s Toyotas.  See how clever I am?!)

That Toyota--while otherwise an ordinary car--had one extraordinary feature to my school-age mind.  The headrests of the front seats had openings into which the poles slid.  They functioned fine and the headrests were firmly attached.  Nevertheless, into one of these very small holes, someone had placed a dried bean.

url

Like that one in the middle there.  I saw very clearly how the bean could have been inserted.  Getting it out was another matter.

I could not, for the life of me, sort out how it might be extracted.  I spent hours contemplating.  I really wanted to figure it out.  Then, my dad sold the car and the bean was gone from my life.  I still thought of it occasionally for years.  The problem I could not solve.  The void filled with bean.

I thought about that bean today.

We spent yesterday with Teresa's parents and their three dogs and our two dogs.  They have a small dog along with whom Biscuit does not get.  (Did you follow that?)  Anyway, Biscuit got into a fight with that dog and as a result, she smelled a little like the pee that dog emitted as a result of the fight.  I should note that non-Biscuit dog started the fight and I later said, "Lulu wrote a check she couldn't cash."  As a result of Lulu's check, Biscuit smelled like Lulu pee.  Oh and chocolate chip cookies.  She smelled like pee and chocolate chip cookies.  We had a fresh chocolate chip cookie in the car on the way home (a result of a coupon at Black Angus.  Don't ask).  So my car smelled of dog, urine, and cookie.

I was taking Biscuit to get groomed this morning.  I was traveling to a part of SoCal I generally avoid.  Biscuit's groomer had moved from a store in the valley in which I live to another north of here.  I programmed my Garmin Nüvi with the address and set out.  When I arrived in far northern valley, I discovered that the store was on a new bit of road that wasn't known to the Nüvi.  I got lost.  I found myself staring at the Nüvi, which was showing my car in a blank space on the map.

garmin-nuvi-760

It looked like that except there were no roads.  I stopped the car and looked at it.  The Nüvi said I was nowhere.  And yet, I was somewhere.

The where was new space--not in a good sense, mind you.  There I was driving down a new road lined with faux-Spanish facade built around all the expected national chain stores.  Ex-urbs have no soul and may well be the reason for the bad economy.  You heard that here first.

But Biscuit likes Harvey and Biscuit doesn't like many people and Harvey had moved to the PetSmart at the place unknown to the Nüvi.

All of a sudden, staring at my virtual car in a virtual wasteland, I thought of the bean.  I also thought of my nine year old self staring at the bean, trying to get it out of the void.

Then I looked up.  Away from the blank, away from the bean.

I found the store and took Biscuit inside.

(Why does Biscuit's hair cut cost twice as much as mine?  Never mind, I know.  It's because I don't nip and my hairdresser doesn't brush my teeth).

Normally, when I defy the Nüvi's directions, she says "recalculating" in a way I find judgmental.  Today, as she tried to find her way through the blank space, I found her recalculations less judgmental and more bereft.  She seemed (not that I'm anthropomorphizing AT ALL) relieved when I headed home.

When left to pick up Biscuit, I turned the Nüvi back on and directed her back to the blank space. Biscuit didn't smell like pee anymore.  The blank space is now filled in my mind by the exubry stuff that's actually there.

I was listening to Carrie Newcomer as I descended back to the valley that is my home.

I'm the fool whose life's been spent.
Between what's said and what is meant

Or so she sang.

That bean is surely gone now.  Dessicated enough to dry up and blow up and away from its void.  Maybe it's still there.  It's not a problem I need to solve.

So I will wander without fail
In circles that grow ever wide
The sky expands and then exhales...

When I arrived home, the Nüvi said, "arriving at home, on right."  We both felt glad.

(Lyrics from The Geography of Light by Carrie Newcomer, "There is a Tree")

5 comments:

sandra said...

ooh, my first car (that I drove) was a 1970 toyota corona. We also had an AMC of some sort, so I'll share responsibility for their downfall with you. Other improbable cars I'm wistful for:
- my parents purple (yes, purple) pontiac bonneville
- my second car (also inherited from the same aunt I bought the corona from), an enormous oldsmobile with a v8 that I don't remember the model of. drove like it was floating on a cloud of butter. "oh I got me a car, it seats about 20, so c'mon and bring your jukebox money!"

weese said...

i can get the bean out.

Sporks said...

If only I had known you then, weese. Pray tell me how you'd approach it?

S, your aunt cars sound fab.

PixieFlute said...

I remember the Citation. My parents had one and what a lemon it was. My mother prayed all the way to the dealer on the day we were trading it in, which wasn't that long after they bought it, considering they usually ran cars into the ground.

Teresa said...

My parents, they of the check-writing, urinating Lulu dog, had Beetles, followed by a Corvair (the "Unsafe at any Speed" car), and several Dodges (a Dart, a Charger, etc.) before they entered their Toyoya truck epoch—and slightly later, a Datsun/Nissan Z phase. As for on-board navigation, it was all about Thompson Guides, which also left us in the lurch when developments were newer than the date of publication, though in that case you didn't find yourself in gray territory, but rather furiously flipping through the book, certain that you must be missing the correct page. Not sure which is more unsettling…