Search This Blog

Thursday, June 07, 2007

The Arcs of Life

Some years ago my mother and I drove through parts of the South to see things I had never seen and to let her reflect on her childhood and family. We drove in a large circle across two and a half states and back.

She has wanted to do another swing for a while and I agreed to summer 2007.

Blogging has not been much on my mind of late, but I am feeling rather reflective tonight. I leave Saturday for this trip and the circle this time is three and a half states. That's one extra state and even on the other side of the great divide, states aren't that small. Well, Rhode Island is, but we're not going to be near it.

A lot has changed since we last did this, but some things certainly haven't. Her aunt (my great aunt) will still be buried under the two grand trees in the cemetery. I will still be uncertain that this trip is something I can make it through with some semblance of my sanity intact.

I do know that my honey will be waiting for me at home with all four of our small mammals. I also know that I'll need my bug spray and my good humor. I'm promised a swamp tour and Ms. Welty's home is expecting us on Thursday. If only Ms. Welty was going to be there. But she's gone off to live at the P.O. in the hereafter.

Wish me luck, y'all.

5 comments:

chapin said...

Good luck Sporks and please say hello to Ms. Welty. She may bring you the sanity that you'll need.

Slangred said...

Good luck, Sporks, from another couple of mammals (albeit not small ones).

Suzanne said...

Sounds like a ball!
Have a safe trip, sporkster. :)

alice, uptown said...

Take your sanity wherever you find it. I wouldn't, however, try the P.O., since we know where "going postal" originated.

Enjoy your old haunts.

Teresa said...

Was knowing that your honey and four small mammals would be waiting at home for you a positive or a negative in the sanity department?