Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The software whose name I will not speak

I'm not particularly fond of summer in my job. Like most faculty members at colleges and universities, I was spoiled by having a nine month job. Now I have twelve month job and lots to do in the summer. Most of what I have to do is tedious. Very tedious. Writing reports and the like.

There's nothing I loathe more than having to click on this icon at any point in my day.



And there's nothing more likely than summer to make me click the little bastard.
Don't assume this is an anti-Microsoft rant. I am not anti-Microsoft. I don't root for them or anything (any more than I root for the Yankees), but they make some fine products. I cleaved to WordPerfect for a long time and then abandoned ship like everyone else. (Bring back WP 5.2, I say!) But I don't mind Word. I am capable of producing PowerPoint slide shows that aren't excruciating (and isn't that the goal, after all?), and I even use Entourage as my e-mail client at work. I say all of this despite a deep loathing for Windows. Deep. The Office suite, though, is fine. Except for that little green thing.

And, no, I'm not going to name it. To name it is to give it power. There it sits waiting for me to click it. It knows where I live. It knows where I work. It haunts my dreams.

Really, it's ruining my summer. Go ahead, name it defend it, you won't change my mind. Evil, thy name is........

8 comments:

WenWhit said...

Since I am but a lowly MS Office user yet don't recognize that logo, I gotta ask: part of Vista? Or just Office 2007?

(And if I find out it has to do with spreadsheets, I'm SO going to call you a wuss.)

sporksforall said...

Vista? That's some extra stupid version of Windows, right? Office 2007? Nope. Not on Mac yet.

Call me a wuss, go ahead...

It's the Mac icon for the Office product I didn't mention (not Word, not PowerPoint, not Entourage (which is the Mac version of Access)). That only leaves the damn green iconed one.

weese said...

(it has to do with spreadsheets)

Unknown said...

This post certainly makes me consider whether or not I am willing to go from a 9 month position to a 12 month!

WenWhit said...

Wuss.

Suzanne said...

But but but... that particular software product gets me all hot and bothered... does that make me evil too?

sporksforall said...

Anyone who likes Excel (shudder) and chews gum is suspicious Suzanne. It's just true.

Teresa said...

Hey, you just named it!