Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The new taste sensation

I came back from lunch with a colleague today and walked through our conference/eating area to the bathroom.

My staff eats. A lot. Badly. Do(gh)nuts. Cake. Cheetos. Almost everyday someone brings something in, always high in fat and calories. It drives me wild. I'm not the most food resistant person in the world. I try to resist. Sometimes it works. Other times, less so.

So, today I was walking by and there were two things sitting on the table with those "it's for everyone" markers recognized the world over. Both items had small plates next to them and food serving devices nearby.

I stopped. I gaped. I may have gasped. I certainly sighed.

On the table was: a VERY gristly steak and next to it (on a seperate plate--a small mercy) there was a chunk of flan swimming in sauce.

Steak and flan. Both room temperature.

Here's the good news: I had no trouble resisting. For your evening update, I should note that the flan was consumed and the steak is still sitting there. Anyone want some?

5 comments:

SassyFemme said...

It always amazes me the stuff people eat at work that they'd never eat at home! Any time we want to get rid of something (usually sweets or candy) all I have to do it put it in the teacher's lounge, it's gone by the end of the day.

Anonymous said...

I think that's what most office food is...leftovers and stuff you don't like or want to otherwise eat at home. Bad grocery store cookies and muffins, leftover grocery store birthday cake.

Steak and flan?! That's just weird. Lucky for us, one of our staff's husband is a food photographer and she brings us his fresh produce leftover from shoots the day before. And his stylist shops very well. Just this past Monday, 3 kinds of tomatoes, all at the peak of yum.

Suzanne said...

I have a co-worker who bakes fresh goodies for the rest of us each Wednesday, the one day everyone local is in the office.

She never brings steak.

WenWhit said...

Wow. My office often benefits from the baking exploits of one of my staff. That girl can COOK. Err, bake. Whatever. The food is never around long enough to reach room temperature.

Love the "I'm not the most food resistant person in the world" line. (Us foodies have to stick together.)

Middle Girl said...

Two of the guys I work with like to bring sweets to share. Icky store bought doughnuts and random types of chocolate bars usually around a holiday (Easter, Halloween & Christmas).

Not once in my 31 years in the work force has anyone ever oofered steak for the sharing. Ever.