Search This Blog

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Scenes from the 'hood or Chicken

This morning Teresa asked me to take a picture of her by one of our unfallen trees. As I was doing so, I saw a chicken. We live on a busy street less than a block from a busier street. In Los Angeles.

And, there, walking along the sidewalk was a chicken. I said as much to Teresa.

Then, ahem, the chicken crossed the road. Why? (Sorry)

chix_walk11.jpg

Well, at first it seemed to just be exploring, but then it found some litter. The litter was a KFC bag. Yes, indeedy. A Kentucky Friend Chicken bag. The chicken began to explore the bag and peck at it. At one point, it pretty much got itself entirely in the bag and then used its beak to pull something out. Horrified, I was sure what it pulled out would be fried, well, um, chicken. Fortunately, it was a ketchup packet.

chix_poke11.jpg

chix_bag11.jpg

chix_kfc11.jpg






The lady who smokes and walks her dog didn't know whose chicken it was. Then, one of our neighbors from the hated park-in-front-of-our-driveway house emerged.

"Do you know who around here keeps chickens?" Teresa asked.

With a sigh that can only be described as emanating from a deeply sibling based place, she said "my sister." We both laughed as she shooed the chicken back to her sister's house. She then got in her car and drove away.

I have been relieved all day on the chicken's behalf for getting safely back across the road. I liked the chicken. It seemed nice. As a nice chicken, it seems to me that having a little morning ketchup is infinitely better than many of the things that might have been found in that KFC bag.

As for me,  I immediately raised my hand and said, "I get the chicken for my blog."  Teresa, bless her heart, agreed without hesitation.

10 comments:

Teresa said...

Are there other blogging partners out there who have to call "blog!" when anything out of the ordinary happens to y'all as a couple. You have to be quick, because you never know when you might lose your right to a good chicken story. Of course, I did call the tree story, so…

Shannon said...

You guys are awesome. Perhaps the woman's sister is a LOCAVORE - likes her own, yard-raised hen's eggs...we have a friend who keeps a couple chickens in her suburban backyard. Real funny to see one just out for a walk though :)

treecup said...

I love that you call dibs on life events. I must say though, that this occasion was definitely more of a sporks than a teresa nugget.

weese said...

but wait... where is the picture of Teresa?

admin said...

Teresa's picture is at advocate.com! She got herself a piece published. Woo hoo.

Deborah said...

A chicken crossing the road to investigate a paper sack from the local chicken serving shack. Classically priceless.

Suzanne said...

Wendy and I call dibs for happenings worthy of blogging.

Those pics of the chicken in the bag are just too much. The zoning in your neighborhood must be very loose to allow your neighbors to raise chickens! May I inquire as to their ethnicity?

The Misanthrope said...

It's a good thing it wasn't walking around our area as coyotes seem to be everywhere.

Suzanna said...

It seems to me, just going by the pictures, that it was a very(!) nice chicken. But, it would be hard to know for sure without a proper conversation.

TKM » Blog Archive » the thousand–dollar goat said...

[...] have hooves? Horns and paws? Or claws? I know we’re zoned for clawed animals because of the crazy KFC-eating chicken from across the [...]