Search This Blog

Monday, October 22, 2007

Costing more

So Honey mentioned to me yesterday that our faithful laptop was conking out a few times a day. I named the laptop "pretty" when I got it. Shall we take a brief tour of my computers? Sure. Why not? It's my blog after all.


My first computer was a PC. Not a real IBM one, but an Epson with a Hercules paperwhite monitor. It served me fairly well. I upgraded it at some point and it functioned like DOS based PCs did. Well. Then Windows cam along and I lost faith.

In graduate school, I had a class that introduced me to the wonders of that magical place called Cupertino. Hypercard prefigured and guessed at the beginnings of the web. I used the internet then--e-mail and netnews--but hadn't yet seen a graphical interface. Hypercard changed that. I promptly got myself a Mac. A laptop.



Color and everything! It weighed a ton, but I was delighted to have a system that worked.

Taking a page from my Honey... to keep you going. There are baby animals here!



Anyway, we entered into the bright phase when Apple did. An original bondi iMac was complemented by the famous (from Sex and the City) iBook. We called the iBook "clam."





Swivelhead came next. I sent him packing this summer when his disc drive went out. That and he wouldn't play Sims2.



Need another baby animal picture? Honey uses them to help deal with tough stuff. I'm compensating for boring stuff. Not the same thing, really.



Pretty and Swivelhead lived together. Pretty has served us well. Even when Biscuit broke her powercord input, she bravely went to the Apple store and got fixed.



She welcomed Flathead when he came home this summer to replace Swivelhead. She chirped merrily along, all the while communicating with the spaceship (our Airport wireless router).





When Honey told me about Pretty's problems, I was worried. Pretty was nearing the end of her life, it seemed. Was it her screen? Was it her motherboard? Either way, she isn't worth fixing. She's a G4 Mac in an Intel CoreDuo world.

Honey and I discussed, looked online, and talked some about it. She's very careful, my Honey. I am a rushing-in kind of fool. Here's one thing we agreed on, though. Apple needed to stop introducing white computers and then making the non-white ones cost more. Flathead was purchased JUST before the new silver and black iMacs came out. Flathead costs $200 less than his silver and black brethern do now. $200. Remember that number.

The new MacBooks are available in white and black.



Here's the thing, though... The white ones are cheaper.

$200 cheaper.

Oh, sure the black one gets you a better hard drive. But it's so little better that it's not worth talking about.

At one point, Honey said exactly what I was feeling, "I don't want to spend $1000 on something that LOOKS exactly like what we already have." Look again, gentle reader. See the resemblance? The current MacBook and Pretty are so closely related in looks that they shouldn't be allowed to marry. They'd produce warped little white plastic babies. What? Oh, ok, fine. More baby animals...



The dolphin isn't white or deformed or anything. Happy?

Apple knows us. We both REALLY wanted the black one. It was matte black, it was smaller than Pretty. It was faster than Pretty or Flathead. I have a big presentation next week for a major nonprofit in a faraway city. Ok, it's Denver, so it's not that far away, but it is a major nonprofit. Dating back to the 19th century major.

Both of our iPods are black. It costs more. We really liked it better. It had a bigger hard drive. It costs more. $200 more. Apple knows us. $300 more? We'd have a white one. $200, we stand in the Apple Store and discuss.

It was hard to justify. We did it, though. We made it work in our brains and now own "Jelly."



Call us shallow. Go ahead. Here's the thing about Apple. They're gotten 100% on the Human Rights Campaign survey of good places for GLBT folks to work for six years. $200. 6 years of good GLBT relations. Black. $200. White.

They know us.

Jelly is a fine looking machine.

And thus endeth the story. Can I get an amen?



Thanks.

13 comments:

Shauna said...

Jelly? I dare say "Juicy" might be easier to remember. ;)

Teresa said...

As Sporks stated, I am a very careful person. What she didn't state was that she convinced me to buy the black one by paying two thirds of the purchase price, which, sadly, is commensurate with the difference in our salaries.

"When Honey told me about Pretty’s problems, I was worried. She was nearing the end of her life, it seemed."

Don't harm the messenger!

admin said...

Shauna: Juicy is easier to remember. It may be that I call the computer that, too.

T: See what I get when you don't read my stuff? Lack of clarity. I fixed it in the post...

SassyFemme said...

I've been eying that black one myself! My current computer is sadly living on borrowed time. With Leopard coming out in a few days, and my using Macs for work, I'm really thinking that's my next computer.

chapin said...

I loved the animals. I really loved the dolphins. What the heck was this post about anyhow? LOL

I work in a PC world. We have about 12 MACs in the building and about 700 PCs. I wonder if education will ever go back to MACs?

admin said...

Sassy: the matte balck is really nice and I'm really fond of the new keyboard. Raised keys click quite nicely.

Chapin: I have no idea what the post was about other than an attempt to make myself feel a little better about the extra $200. It was a dark day in K-12 education when the Macs left. Higher ed is equally bereft.

chapin said...

Oh yeah...Denver??? OMG...that is only 7 hours away and I know several places for great adult beverages there. You might also be able to catch the Snow...errr I mean World Series.

Deborah said...

I've never used a mac. I feel deprived. The baby animals make it better though. Thanks.

The Misanthrope said...

Daughter is going to be the first in the family to own a Mac. Myself may be next, but meself will have to ponder it until taxes are returned. Me English could be ruined, but the jurors will never know.

weese said...

oo i should also mention - we have several computers. and everytime i see a baby animal i want to bring it home (evidence the FREE dog)

weese said...

can i just say... i hate computers.
ok. i feel better now.
and while i do love baby animals. i never forget - they grow up.

SassyFemme said...

On Macs and education... Macs seem to be REALLY big in K-12 in New England. Back in TX it was practically unheard of unless they were really old ones left over from the mid 90's. Up here they seem to be the norm. I'm actually heading to an Apple in Education seminar next week.

Michelle said...

I needed some pictures of baby animals, so I did a google image search. The passel of baby opossums caught my eye. Hilarious that your post wasn't really about baby animals.