Search This Blog

Monday, October 29, 2007

A few Denver thoughts

I find myself in Denver, a city to which I have never ventured before. Seems nice enough and the weather is good, I gather, for October in Colorado.

Some preliminary thoughts:

1) People smoke here more than they do in L.A. Seems ill-advised given the thin air. They'll need their lungs.

2) The Mint should have a nicer gift shop, especially since they didn't have any space left on their tour today. They make a profit on those state quarters. Cycle it back such that the gift shop doesn't seem like a trailer time forgot. There are just the two Mints, really. They could try harder. Does anyone know if they try harder in Philadelphia mint-wise?

3) If I wanted Rockies World Series gear, my timing could not be better. It's all 50% off. Now that I know the Rockies actively recruit born-again Christian players, I don't so much want Rockies gear.

4) I'm in the hotel the BoSox stayed in last night. To hear tell, we're lucky to get rooms, as the celebrated rather, um, vigorously and didn't leave when they were supposed to.

5) I also hear tell that the Packers are staying here tonight. For fantasy football reasons, I'm hoping they have no real reason to celebrate. Brett Favre especially. Plus he doesn't pronounce his name right. Ok, he does, given that he's from the South, where Ponce De Leon is pronounced "Ponse Dee Leeeon" and Cairo, GA is pronounced "Kay-roh." Still.

6) The Rockies (mountains, this time) are really pretty.

7) Ok, I'm off to dinner with my boss. I'm going to try not to say anything stupid.

7 comments:

The Misanthrope said...

I didn't know that about the Rockies, if that is true, I am delighted that they lost the World series.

I would think there would be less smokers in Denver as I thought that is where nature lovers and hikers go to live and enjoy life.

weese said...

I lived in Denver for a short time. Well, not the city per se - but Aurora - a suburb of the city.
love the Rockies. Um, the mountains - not the ball players.

chapin said...

The mint had a crappy gift shop 20 plus years ago when I lived in the Springs. I'm sorry to hear it hasn't changed.

SassyFemme said...

If I liked baseball I'd now be totally turned off from the Rockies. Actively recruiting thumpers is just plain wrong, on many levels.

Deborah said...

The mountains are gorgeous. The rest? heh--I pass.

Teresa said...

Why do the anti–secular nutjobs have to take over all the pretty places? Shouldn't they be in poor areas evangelizing people who don't already have every advantage in life?

As to the mint gift shop, I can't speak to its trailer trappings, but I received an awesome ruler and a very, very long pencil from its stock, so it can't be all bad.

sporksforall » One MILLION Dollars said...

[...] The two largest bills ever offered by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing were the hundred thousand dollar bill and the ten thousand dollar bill. The B.E.P. should not, by the by, not be confused with the Mint. The Mint does the coins. And has a lame gift shop. [...]