Search This Blog

Monday, November 19, 2007

Bear Aware

The woman at the front desk handed me a sheet to initial and sign in various places. I wasn't buying a house, a car, or even a bicycle. No indeed. I was checking into a hotel. Why all the initialing? Most notably, I was certifying that everyone in my party was "bear aware." We had taken a trip for my Honey's transition into her next stage by traveling to our National Park. We've visited Sequoia on a number of occasions in our life together and have a deep affinity for the place. As we were walking around the "Big Trees Trail" yesterday, Honey said, "this is why California is so wonderful." Truth: spoken out loud.

Tree Aside:



That's the Grant tree. It was declared the "nation's Christmas tree" by Calvin Coolidge. Eh. Honey and I walked around the back side of it first. It's big, but not as pretty as I'd like. I prefer the Sentinel with its "average" size.

Back to the Bears:

My family wasn't much of a National Park kind of family. We visited a few, but the best ones are in the West. (You can deny the previous statement all you want, but denial has therapeutic value--discuss as needed with your therapist). My family did visit the Great Smoky Mountains National Park a couple of times. I recall very vividly that both times we saw bears.

Black bears (ursus americanus) are found in most of the large National Parks, including Great Smoky Mountain NP and Sequoia and Kings Canyon NP(s). They're not particularly aggressive bears, and rarely attack humans. Grizzly bears (ursus arctos horribilis), their larger cousins, are typically only found in four National Parks. And, no, the St. Louis Arch is not one of them. OK, fine, the arch (properly the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial) is not an actual National Park. I just liked the idea of grizzly bears riding in that weird conveyance you use to get to the top of it.



The four Parks with grizzly bears are: Glacier, Yellowstone, Katmai, and Denali. Montana, Wyoming, and Alaska (2), for those of you keeping state score. Grizzly Bears will kill people. Black Bears can hurt people, if the people are stupid.



That's a black bear next to the trash can, by the way. They can be brown. Confusing, I admit. The real problem for the black bears, as it is with so much of modern life, is trash. Both times I saw bears in GSMNP as a child it was near a tumped over trash can.



Bears like human food trash. It doesn't distinguish them very much from dogs, now that I think about it. Until recently, many bears in many parks had learned that humans had food. Smart animals that they are; they figured that begging might get them some.



Yogi didn't help matters. Who wouldn't want to share a picnic with Yogi? Ok, I wouldn't, but some folks would.



Then Smokey was always hanging around telling us to prevent fires. He's a nice spokesanimal. Friendly bear spokesanimals are likely to produce friendly feelings about bears by park visitors.

Smokey isn't my favorite spokesanimal, though. As a person of a certain age, I feel more connection to his anti-litter buddy, Woodsy Owl. Recently redesigned (2006), Woodsy first appeared in the early 1970s. While he now urges, "Lend a Hand, Care for the Land," his original exhortation, "Give a hoot don't pollute" should bring a song about "dirty bird(s)" to the minds of many.



There are currently some licensed Woodsy pants available on ebay. It could be a new fashion trend. Think how good you'd look in Woodsy pants. The belt buckle, the weird length. Sigh.

Being bear aware dominates a lot of thinking and efforting at our National Park. The new movement at the National Parks is anti-Yogi, anti-cubs begging at woodie station wagons.

Not only did I have to certify that I was bear aware and that Honey was bear aware, we also had to remove things that might cause bear break-ins from our car. Food? Yep. Drinks? Yep. Also lotion, chapstick, lipstick, Purell. Really, anything with a scent had to be secreted away to our room. I can find no evidence that a bear ever tore apart a car for chapstick. They have torn apart cars for food. But chapstick? I'm not so sure.

Really, day visitors get left off the hook. They're told to keep "food out of sight." Staying overnight? Get that chapstick out of the car! Now.



I saw these signs all over the park. I don't want to be responsible for a dead bear. Not me. Nope. Nuh uh. I do like some of the advice the sign offers.

"Gather together and make noise by banging pots and pans."

Damn, we forgot to bring pots and pans. Are they required even when we don't camp?

"NEVER try to get items back from a bear."

Do you really mean that I shouldn't use my soft hand to hit the big bear on the head to get my chapstick back? It's MY chapstick. Who's going to buy me another stick? Also, if he takes my L'Occitane lotion, somebody is going to pay. I'm just saying.

"If you are afraid, back away and contact a ranger for help."

Mmm Kay. So, there will be a ranger nearby? Not just the pretty one in the booth an hour back where I paid my $20? That's super handy. Each bear has an assigned ranger. Thanks!

"You may see rangers using hazing techniques to chase bears away."

That is especially awesome. Do they shave their heads? Make them drink lots of beer? I do hope they get to join the fraternity afterwards.

Ok, snarky aside done. I do love the picture of the people.



Clearly one thing you should certainly do is make an "o" with your mouth. Honey and I practiced that all weekend. The problem for us, really, was who wanted which role. We had no pots or spoons, so neither could of us be the dad. I decided the best thing to do was consult the bear's ranger about what to do beyond the "o" mouth.

As we descended into the San Joaquin Valley and headed home yesterday, I thought about what I had learned. I learned a lot about sequoias, but not much about bears, really. I realize that the sequoias aren't going to break into my car, but think about if one of them fell on me. I'd be way more dead than if a bear took my lotion. It's unlikely that a sequoia would fall on me, I admit. Still I should have asked the pretty ranger how to protect myself from the unlikely. With all those sequoias, they're probably not able to have enough rangers to assign one to every tree. Standing near them, then, is a risk I must be willing to take. I'm nothing if not brave. And bear aware. I'm also very bear aware. So is Honey. I certified us.

9 comments:

Teresa said...

I'm not here to get anyone in trouble, but you did NOT ascertain my bear knowledge or impart any before you "certified" me as bear aware. But maybe the 40-plus crowd is assumed to be more responsible about that sort of thing, just like insurance companies presume that all males become really careful drivers the moment they turn 25. Proving my newly acquired wisdom, it was I who located a tiny hotel bottle of lotion in Sporks' car that SHE WAS ABOUT TO LEAVE IN THE CENTER CONSOLE OVERNIGHT!

But in saving our silly cars from potential destruction by bears, are we not denying them much-needed moisture and suppleness from the target emollients? Might we be breeding an angry park population of bears with dry paws and flaky skin? Every action has a consequence. Butterfly effect and all.

Is it me, or does the bear-confronting family look like they're getting their folk on at a hootenanny?

It was a lovely birthday trip, Sporks, thankfully unmarred by bear muggings.

The Misanthrope said...

You two are too funny and cute. The last time I was in a national park, daughter was not yet able to use the bathroom on her own. During that trip a bear broke into our friends' truck and took our ice chest that only had jalapeno cheese. The bear discarded the chest a few feet away, but I know somewhere there was a bear in the woods howling. Hmm, I wonder if that cured him/her of stealing ice chests?

weese said...

bear hazing. i would like to see the bear hazing.

wenwhit said...

Is the perfect "O" required for certification? If so, color me chagrined.

Damned funny post, btw. :)

Deborah said...

"If you see a bear in a natural area...consider yourself lucky." I think not, but to each her own.

Waiting for the musical. :)

Shauna said...

Good bear aware advice is always welcome, sporks, but for pete's sake, did you have to include a photograph of the GODAWFUL CLAUSTROPHOBIA-AGGRAVATING ELEVATORS in the leg of the GODAWFUL ACROPHOBIA-AGGRAVATING Gateway Arch? I'm suppressing the urge to shake and scream all over again at the memory of some of the worst 20 minutes of my life!

alice, uptown said...

Thanks for remembering Woodsy Owl. I've been quoting his "give a hoot, don't pollute" line for a couple of years now, and I remember his original design, but didn't know his name.

All of this we-must-go-green effort of the decade shows we take two (1 1/2?) steps forward, and one step back. Oh, wait, there's a Bush in an office. Make that two-plus steps back, period.

I can't help thinking it would be a hell of a lot easier to pollute a lot less if the packaging industry hadn't gotten the idea that a woman must break through petrochemical bonds to gain access to her quickly multiplying electronic gadgets, to her making purchases on line that have never seen the light of a retail story, or to open a plastic bottle of soda. Clearly we have more techno-widgets and entertainment recycled into new formats than we have money to spend, or else it would be easier to open a "clamshell" package without resorting to sharp implements.

As for the bears, if they can break through the petrochemical wrappers, somehow I think they have earned whatever they seek.

TKM » Blog Archive » aloha from starbucks said...

[...] United States, if you don’t allow someone to get eaten by a bear every now and again, all the pot banging in the world will simply fall on deaf [...]

Sasspirilla said...

Let's don't forget Care Bears and Teddy Ruxpin. Their warm and cuddley personalities certainly added to the 'bear vs humans' problem!