Search This Blog

Saturday, November 03, 2007

A small SkyMall thought

I am well aware that the SkyMall catalog is simply a distraction that the airlines provide me with on the plane. The companies that populate it are hoping I'll buy something.

Treecup and I once played a game on the way to a conference where we opened the SkyMall catalog. Here's how it worked. I'd open the book to a particular page and pick out the item I most thought she would want, even if it was a page full of NFL pool balls. There couldn't be anything less suited to Treecup than NFL pool balls. Then she picked out the thing she would buy on that page.   Then we'd switch and she'd try to guess my preferences.  (The answer couldn't be "nothing." In our imaginary SkyMall world, you had to buy something on every page. Delta and Hammacher Schlemmer would be so pleased. Them and the NFL pool ball people.) It was an amusing and interesting exercise in how well we knew one another.

My father travels a lot and when I ask him for gift suggestions, he is likely as not to come up with something from the SkyMall like a shower squeegee. I don't feel compelled to buy him the actual shower squeegee from the catalog, nor is he hoping for it. He just liked the idea of the shower squeegee. Thusly, he is now able to squeegee his shower at will.

Anyway, when I flew home on Wednesday, I noticed a product that made me sad in the SkyMall. Not sad like the anti-gay freaks protesting at soldiers funerals. Not that sad. Still.

Here it is:



It's described as:

"Safe laser beam toy keeps your cat entertained for hours on end, so you can do other things."

Ok, I will admit that our four (how did that happen?) pets always often sometimes drive me crazy. But they're our pets. I brought them (or helped bring them) into our home. I should play with them. If the cats like laser pointers (and boy, do they), I should wield said pointer and move it around for them. Really.  With my own hands.  Even though I hurt my shoulder the other day bench pressing my honey.  I have a left hand.  It has a wrist that works.

The "you don't have to play with you cat" laser thingy is yet another example of our continuing slide into desperation.

I should note that, as I wrote this, Biscuit had cornered Halo under my desk. Biscuit is now outside and I have tried to coax Halo out of her lair. I'm not sure where my laser pointer is, though. So she'll have to make do with my petting her should I be successful in the extraction.

6 comments:

Shauna said...

Wow. Skymall cat toys make me sad, too. If I'm ever on a plane with you, that's the one thing on the Skymall catalog page I most definitely wouldn't choose for myself or for you.

WenWhit said...

That "toy" is all sorts of wrong. Why have a pet if you're not going to interact with it????

The Misanthrope said...

I think I could be amused by the laser toy.

Teresa said...

“Safe laser beam toy keeps your cat entertained for hours on end, so you can do other things” implies that anyone who has a cat and not a laser beam toy exists in a state of utter serfdom to her pointy-eared lord. Where is this master race of cats who have perfected the art of human mind control, and how can we avoid their influence on our milder-mannered house cats?

Deborah said...

Bad. So very bad.

Tara Dharma said...

Oh, forget laser beams, get your cats and dogs DVDs to keep them entertained! That way, you'll NEVER have to interact with them!