Search This Blog

Saturday, February 02, 2008

A bit more on Miss Washington

I'm not going to write just now about having had a really nice lunch today with The Misanthrope and Bitch, PhD, which was very cool on lots of levels.

I'm not going to do that because I have little zingy feelings right now. Why? Glad you asked.

My previous post got a comment while I was at the aformentioned lunch from one of Miss Washington's gay dads. I didn't write much about her in my post, mostly because I don't know enough about pageants to work up the right level of outrage over her not winning. But I'm going to go for it now.

One week on, I have to say I haven't gotten less irritated about the outcome. Let's start with some objective facts...

Miss Washington, Elyse Umemoto, and Miss Indiana, Nicole Rash, made the top three on both Miss America Reality Check and Miss America proper. (I should not that I just went to the Miss Indiana pageant site and had a hard time finding Ms. Rash's last name. She's not just "Nicole," folks). At any rate, this suggests to me that if TLC and the Miss America people were really interested in a new kind of Miss America, that those two women should have been numbers one and two.

I don't see much point in bashing the other contestants. Rather, I want to focus on why Ms. Umemoto should have won. Let's go positive on this, shall we? Ok, I may have a negative moment or two. We'll see. Stay tuned.

The notion that Miss America should be the new "it" girl seems perfect for Ms. Umemoto.

Why do I say that?

Well let's start with her ethnic heritage. She's Japanese, oh, and German, also she's Latino and Yakama Native American. Got that? I like to think of America as an interesting place where people come together and influence one another in all sort of ways. Someone with a complex and rich heritage seems ideal for our new "it girl" don't you think? We've done blond before. We've done Midwest before. How about Pacific Rim? Word to Seattle. Thanks for the coffee thing. Also, thanks for two Miss America posts.

Ok, next criteria--what does she stand for? Two things. Embracing diversity. Seems right. (Would someone tell Bill Clinton to shut about about race, by the way?) The other thing? Empowering women. The it girl gets it.

I thought she was funny and charming throughout the reality show. Then came the red carpet moment. She spoke out about her gay dads and called herself liberal. Word to your mom, dad, dad, and dad. You're stunning.

As I said, I'm no pageant expert, so I can only say that she seemed fine in the various walks (swimsuit, evening wear). Her rendition of the Robbie Williams tune seemed way more, oh I don't know, connected to the aughts than tap dancing or Judy Garland songs. She stayed in tune too, which I more than my ear said about the winner. (Yes, my ear can talk and yes that was a little negativity).

I have no doubt that Ms. Umemoto will succeed in whatever she decides to take on. (I gather from reading around that she won Miss Seattle in her first attempt at the pageant thing. Pretty impressive, if you think about it. A lot of the women she was up against have been competing in pageants their whole lives. Trust me, there are women in the South who have entire worlds revolving around the pageant circuit). I wish her nothing but the best as she embarks on her post-Miss America chapter. Still, I can't help thinking that a Miss America with gay dads, a feminist bent, a rich and diverse heritage, and liberal politics would have been awfully nice. I know I would have paid attention beyond last Saturday.

Thanks, Gary, for prompting me to write this. All the best to you, your partner, and your daughter.

To quote Elyse (I hope it's ok to call her that once), "how do you like them apples?" Quite a lot from what I can tell.

elyse_red_tn.jpg

3 comments:

Dana said...

Thank god someone agrees.

shauna said...

Hear, hear! Great post, Sporks.

I watched the Reality Check thing expecting to be mildly pleased to see some of the contestants brought to the 00s from the 80s hell of oversprayed hair, pancakey makeup and scary-cheesy ballgowns, which is pretty much all I knew or paid attention to in pageant-land.
When Miss Washington, who had charmed all along with her friendly down-to-earthness, answered that question the way she did, I sat up and took notice. For the first time. Ever.

Sporks, you said it perfectly.

Hear, hear!

Teresa said...

Most pageant ladies sound just like compromise candidates for political office, not wanting to offend anyone in America's mainstream demographic. Here's to Elyse Umemoto for competing as an uncompromising Miss America!