Search This Blog

Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Geese of Hawai'i

I went to Hawai'i to look for geese. Truth be told, I did not know when I departed that this would be a goal. Goals sometimes come when you don't expect them to.

Many people go to Hawai'i for many reasons. Scuba. Snuba. Pineapples. Macadamia Nuts. Volcanoes. Coffee.

I experienced several of these activities. I bet you didn't know pineapple could be an activity. It sure can. Details to follow.

But, oh, the geese.

They were MY thing. I am not a birder in the classic sense. I have bird books and binoculars. I own mutliple bird feeders. But, I can't recognize bird songs from the tree, have to look twice at small brown birds to determine if they're house finches or house sparrows. Bottom line, I guess, I like birds and like looking at them.

Upon our arrival to Hawai'i--I know it's confusing, but I'm talking about the island (as in "the big") not the state (as in all of the islands)--I discovered that we would be near to an area where we might see Nene. Nene are Hawai'ian geese.

Ok, let's get a something straightened out before I continue. Despite, my initial inclination, as a native speaker of English from the southeastern part of these here United States, the name of the bird is pronounced "neh neh" not "neen." I still kind of want to call them neens, but I am being all Hawai'ian and shit (notice my use of the apostrophe!) and know it's "neh neh."

nenexing.jpg

There were lots of signs about Nenes. Don't feed them, don't hit them with your rental car, don't let your dog chase them. Nenes themselves are rare. At one point there were there were tens of thousands of Nene and then humans did lots of stupid things and they died out to the brink of extinction. Fortunately, there has been an concerted effort to bring them back and there are now between five hundred and three thousand Nene on three of the Hawai'ian islands (Maui, Hawai'i, and Kaua'i). Most are there as a result of captive breeding programs, though the ones on Hawai'i are often the offspring of wild pairs.

I have a soft spot for geese. I tend to prefer water birds to other kinds of birds and geese are, to me at least, the Goldilocks kind of bird. Not too big, not too small. Just right. I have complicated animal aesthetics, which often involve statements like "a good amount of white" (which accurately describes our cat Halo and none of our other pets). Geese are right in the animal aesthetic wheelhouse. So, when you tell me there's a kind of goose that almost died out, has specially adapted feet for walking on lava, and has a name as good as Nene, I'm going to be goose seeking. With abandon. Aplomb even.

We asked the helpful people at our B&B where Nene might be seen. They suggested the golf course. I then asked the ranger at Volcanoes National Park where to see some and she suggested the Hilo zoo. Um, no, I don't think so. I want "wild" Nene, thanks very much. So, off to the golf course we went.

nene3.jpg

There were four pairs of them hanging out on the 18th hole. Honey and I laughed at first, thinking this was a sign of how easy it was to see them. They were nibbling on grass and having a Nene good time. One even showed off his lava foot for me. Yes, it was for me. I was the only Nene picture taker there. Other people were using sticks to hit little white balls around. I know who had the true Nene love; the person who got shown the Nene foot.

nenefoot.jpg

Nenes mate for life, by the way.

I was in Nene bliss. I figured we go back to the golf course a few (dozen) more times and I commune with these eight Nene and all their friends. We did go back to the golf course several times. No more Nenes.

I was feeling a little Nene bereft as we headed off to go coffee tasting. Honey had promised that one of the coffee places had geese, which she and I both assumed were Nenes. What other geese are there in Hawai'i? Nenes are the Hawai'i state bird, by the way. Do you know what your state bird is? I'll wait while you go look it up. See, you're learning LOTS of bird facts today. (In case you're wondering, my state birds have been: Brown Thrasher, Baltimore Oriole, and California Quail). At any rate, we get to the coffee place in question, Mountain Thunder, to discover that they have two kinds of geese on the farm, neither of which Nene. Still, geese are geese and I'm ready for my close up. One kind of goose hangs out down in the coffee tree area and the other wanders more. The nice folks inform me that they may come by to be fed. We're enjoying our coffee sample and watching Mountain Thunder on Dirty Jobs when the wandering goose family presented itself (minus one, who is incubating eggs).

goose1.jpg

The owner told me that a visitor had told her they were Toulouse geese, but I'm pretty sure they're Greylag geese. At any rate, they were really fun. They honked some and threatened me when I stood near them for a picture. The threat was the large male sticking his neck out and opening his beak a little. They also got into a goose fight. How many times have you seen a goose fight while sipping really good Kona coffee? I didn't think so.

goosefight.jpg

We interacted with the geese for a while, bought coffee and descended thunder mountain with the rental car shuddering from the strain of the descent and Honey and I jittering a little from all the coffee and goose goodness. It was probably more coffee than goose.

goose2.jpg

I had read in my Hawai'i (the state) bird book, that there were no Nene to be found on O'ahu, our next destination. I wanted another Nene fix. The next day, we were headed out for turtle viewing and I saw a sign that said "Nene 750 yards." I immediately began mumbling about all the bullshit Nene signs that promise more Nene than they can deliver. Then, I saw...

nene.jpg

Nene on the side of the road. I pulled over quickly (not dangerously). Honey and I circled the Nene so I could get more pictures. This caused the Nene to moan. Really. They don't honk so much as moan. Watch this video for the sound. The effect was, "leave me alone, you stupid mainlander."

nene2.jpg

I persisted in taking pictures, though. Finally (from their perspective, not mine), we left them alone.

I tried a few more times to see Nene. None were in evidence. Still, if there really are only 500 Nene, my ten Nene worth was 1/50 of the total. This seems like a pretty high proportion, given that I certainly didn't make up 1/50 of the visitors to Hawai'i (either the island or the state) last week.

My advice when traveling? Get your goose on.

Nene up.

13 comments:

SassyFemme said...

I love geese, there's something so magical about them. Nene is quite cute, love the ivory on it's neck. I confess to going to look up the state bird of CT, American Robin. I should have known that already. I know NH's though, from growing up there, purple finch. Can't remember TX's though.

Teresa said...

Well, if I'd adapted lava feet, I'd be showing them off too! And as for goose-motivated travel, there are plenty of less inspiring reasons for which one might need to fly 2,500 miles.

the misanthrope said...

I had no idea about any this before hand, but I might win a final Jeopardy now. Sounds like you had a great trip.

shauna said...

Rock on. I'm glad to hear about, and see pictures of, an animal whose name is often found snuggled in amidst the "adit"s and "ecru"s of my crossword puzzles. If there were one Nene living for every time they appear in a puzzle, there'd be no shortage indeed.
Plus, they're nice looking birds.
I'm glad your bird stories aren't dead bird stories.

admin said...

ooh, you got to go to the coffee farm they featured on dirty jobs? i'm jealous!

and I've never even seen a California Quail in person, let along a Nene.

chapin said...

I'm so glad you all had a great time looking at the Nene. I had no idea. My mom says there is nothing to learn on the Internet that amounts to anything. I think I'll have to forward her this post.

otter said...

Howdy, or should I say "honk"? I found your blog through kitty Litter's blog..and there were geese! I was originally a goose biologist (yes we do exsist). I studied Snow Geese in the Canadian Arctic for years. Nothing beats a good goose! I am jealous you got to see Nene.

sporks said...

Thanks for stopping by, otter! I wish I could be a goose biologist. Are the brown ones greylag?

WenWhit said...

I LOVE this post. The nenes are so cute, and you seem to possess really good nene-viewing karma!

I'm mildly offended that Sassy couldn't remember the mockingbird, but, well, she's a Yankee at heart.

I completely concur that pineapple could be an activity. :)

otter said...

They sure look like it to me.

TKM » Blog Archive » jazz brain goes to hawaii said...

[...] reproductive noise or mess with the ecosystem of a preexisting species. Take the nene—about which le domestique can tell you much more—a Hawaiian goose that serves as the official state bird (it is found in [...]

Allie said...

Hi there! I came across your blog while looking for pictures of Nene to use in an educational exhibit in my library. Your photos of Nene are really great and I would love to use some of them with your permission.

louis vuitton said...

Hi, I like your blog. This is a great site and I wanted to post a little note to let you know, great job! Thanks Chris

Louis Vuitton

vuitton