Search This Blog

Monday, May 12, 2008

What you get

I've lately been hankering for an iPhone. My current cell contract is up July 19th, not that I've got it down to the day or anything. I'd like to keep my number and not pay an early termination fee, so I have not yet gotten an iPhone. Still, I keep saying things to Honey like, "an iPhone will save my life." A colleague at work has one and today I was sitting next to her in a meeting just staring at it. I think it winked at me.

Yesterday, Honey wanted to shop for clothes. I do not like shopping for clothes. At all. Not even a little. Even for clothes for someone else. While she was shopping for clothes, I tried to occupy myself. I first went to the Sharper Image going out of business sale. To say that they were picked over three days from the end of their existence is an understatement. Fixtures and gift boxes and Star Wars poker sets and some REALLY large binoculars sat around in a store that was filled with despondent looking retail clerks for whom I felt sorry.

I then wandered into Body Shop, where I discovered that they have again decided to break my heart and discontinue the bath gel I love the scent of. The world of retail has littered my life with products that I can't live without only to then require me to live without them. Oceanus joins Coke Blak and original Fresca and Nike Long Ball Slip Ons and...

I bought some Ocean Lilly and can say definitively that it is not the same.

Finally, rather than shuffle into Old Navy and act despondent while Honey tried on clothes (though that would certainly come later), I walked into the Apple store. Oh, it is a bright and shiny place. Not in the Hemingway sense. In the bright and shiny and lovely sense. I looked at the MacBook Air. I wished (yet again) I had waited to buy my iMac until after the silver ones came out.

Finally, as if pulled by some unseen force, I found myself playing with an iPhone. Then, feeling strong and brave, I put it down and walked away. As I walked back over to the iMacs, I thought I'd mess with them a little. And, lo, there was a new product about which I did not know. It was a new Apple keyboard. It was silver and had no tiny crevasses in which bagel crumbs might lurk or lodge. It has pleasing slightly offwhite keys. And they clacked satisfyingly as I typed. I turned without another thought and picked one up. As I headed to the counter to pay, a bright and shiny Apple employee asked if I needed anything else. Did I ask him about an iPhone? I may have. Was I a little relieved when he said that they were sold out? I may have been.

As I finally shuffled (perhaps a little less despondently) into Old Navy to find Honey, I clutched my new keyboard in my hand like a beacon. And tonight, as I type on it, I can say that sometimes what you get is ok. July 19th will come. In the meantime, I have clacking. It's unlikely to save my life, but it's still pleasing.

10 comments:

Joel said...

The rumor is that Iphones are currently sold out because they'll be releasing all new models in June. You may be glad you waited a bit.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/05/12/BUDG10L2PL.DTL&type=tech

Joel

SassyFemme said...

The next gen of iPhones are also supposedly going to start at $200, for a smaller HD than the current small one has, and faster web loading speed.

Get it, if you can, when your contract is up. You won't regret it, at all. Fran and I absolutely love ours, one of the best purchases we've made in years.

weese said...

hmm, I still just can't get myself to actually spend money on a phone.
I am a 'free phone' gal all the way.

Sporks said...

Thanks for the tip, Joel. I took the smirk on the Apple store guy's face to mean something like that.

Sassy--I'm glad to encounter another happy user.

Weese--if it will SAVE MY LIFE it will be worth the money. :)

weese said...

hmm, i am curious to know how it might SAVE YOUR LIFE?
does it swim? does it know CPR? does it offer happy hour cocktails??

Sporks said...

By organizing my life. Spinning things tend to wing out of control. It will stop the spinning.

weese said...

ooo that kind of saving your life ;)

treecup said...

yeah, i always thought the new testament was pretty cool up to the point where Paul gets involved. i think i'll call him Saul, just to annoy him.

treecup said...

oops. this went under the wrong post. ah well.

Sage said...

I love my Iphone, I use it for everything and I also use it as a phone from time to time. You know you always can keep your Phone number now. No matter who you choose for your carrier. I love the keyboard...I want one now.