Search This Blog

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Yoqua

Ok, so more than one person has recommended yoga to me.


My buddy Shannon even has gone and gotten herself certified and everything to teach it. Dallas readers? Look her up, yo.


Anyway, Associate Professor (with tenure!) Treecup and her family belong this fabulous place out where they live that's kind of half spa half really nice gym.


Honey and I went with Treecup and child a few weeks ago and as we were walking out, we picked up the fitness class schedule and noticed that Saturday morning they offered a class called "yoqua." We all assumed it was yoga in the water and talked about our coming out to try it out one weekend. Treecup and family live about 45 miles away from us, which is no small jaunt when you're trying to get to a 9am Saturday morning class.


We had plans to go this morning that looked in danger of getting derailed because Honey has a cold. Treecup suggested that she and I go and check it out sans partners.



I got up really early this morning and picked her up in time to make it to "yoqua." I'm working up to feeling comfortable enough to try actual yoga and I figured I would try it in the water first. I'm fairly buoyant.


It turned out that the yoqua instructor had quit and not taught anyone how to teach it before she did so. We got "aqua fit" instead. We were the youngest people in the class and neither one of knew that the default fashion accessory was a visor and very large sunglasses.


For an hour we sort of jumped around in the water. It was fun and I liked our chatty instructor, though her chattiness was, to me at least, an indication of how not aerobically challenging this class was. I should also note that there was no yoga centering or anything what with the Katrina and the Waves we were jogging in the water to. "Heels down, ladies!"


Afterwards we spent some time in the jacuzzi. I am a little sunburned, so maybe I shouldn't be so quick to judge the bevisored.


We did some cardio, had nice spa-like showers, and then went to lunch. In other words, a very nice day, but I'm no closer than I was yesterday to yo/qu/ga.


Om.

4 comments:

admin said...

next time, yoga. or tai chi. i like slow exercise :)

Shauna said...

Sounds like fun. I'd like to try yoga, too. The real thing, because my Yoga Booty Ballet DVD makes me feel like a cheese ball every time I get to the part where it's "as if you're holding the golden orb of the sun" in your arms. :|

weese said...

downward dog in the water sounds... dangerous.

alice, uptown said...

Yoqua sounds like the kind of "exercise" devised by someone who ate too many bean sprouts. But maybe I'm just too East Coast for that kind of New Agey enterprise.