Search This Blog

Saturday, August 22, 2009

License to Carbonate

The name is Sporks, the license is Alco2jet 220579.  That is all I can say or I might have to kill you.

IMG_2452

Or not.  But that is my license number.  I'm a licensed carbonator.  Yeppers.

A week or so ago, Teresa sent me a link to a product I didn't know existed.

The SodaStream Fountain Jet.

Behold:

IMG_2454

I've always had a thing for old seltzer bottles.  We have some Teresa bought at a yard sale in the garage.

DSCN2740_edited-1

Ours are not this pretty but you get the idea.  William Powell could make you a drink from them.  Especially if you were Myrna Loy.

I also have been trying to be more green.  I ride my scooter when I can.  I would like someone to buy me this:

audi-a3-tdi-rear-three-quarter

Audi A3 TDI.  45 mpg.  Thank you very much.

I'd buy it for myself, but I've recently taken a "state budget" furlough pay cut.  (Don't ask).

The SodaStream hits exactly the right marks.  I can have (really, really slight) thoughts of Powell and Loy while making carbonated beverages.  It saves me from buying and discarding plastic bottle containing fizzy water every week (my average was 3 bottles per week).  It fits my newly "dehanced" salary.   (Thanks California economy!)

So, how does it work, you ask?  I'm so glad you did.  So, so glad.

First, you need to secure your license for the Alco2jets.  I have two licenses and two jets.  I am special.

co21

That's the spare.

IMG_2451

That's the one currently in use.  See just how special I am?

License 220579.  That special.

Ok, so here's how it works.  You fill your specially provided SodaStream bottles from your handy Britta picther.

IMG_2455

IMG_2456

IMG_2457

Please note that two bottles full is more than the (*cough*stupid*cough*) Britta pitcher can hold.  No offense to Britta stockholders.

IMG_2458

IMG_2459

This will mean filling and waiting for the Britta to take its sweet time draining itself through the (probably only mildly useful) filter.  Now, I could just skip this step and use tap water.  But what if L.A. tap water isn't pure and clear as the driven snow?  What if, indeed.  So, once the Britta has finished its "job," here's what I've got:

IMG_2461

Yep, still water, two plastic bottle.  Awesome.

IMG_2462

Now I secure one bottle on the machine.

IMG_2463

Then I push the magic button.

IMG_2464

And watch the bubbles fill the bottle.

IMG_2468

If you try this at home, you will probably be joined at this point by one or more dogs.  They do not like the sound.  Especially the loud burping sound it makes indicating a certain level of carbonation.

IMG_2482

I manage to ignore the dogs and persist.

4 burps for plain or flavor enhanced water.

IMG_2481

How about orange?

IMG_2483

Just a drop.

Now, let's get fancy and have some Diet Pink Grapefruit--"compare to Fresca!"  I'll want five burps on this, dog concern be dammed.

IMG_2469

Measure the syrup.

IMG_2470

Pour in bottle and gently shake. I register slight alarm at the pinkness.

IMG_2471

Pour into juice glass.  Serve to spouse.

IMG_2473

Seems ok.

Secure made soda in fridge.

IMG_2487

Put soda maker in it's place (on floor, away from flammables, near wine and drinks)

IMG_2488

Pour self a (slightly larger) juice glass of pink drink and sit down to blog.

IMG_2490

Generally I'm only slightly excited by kitchen gadgets.  This one, though, is beyond fab.  No electricity, less plastic. A source of creativity.

Burp burp burp burp burp.

4 comments:

sandra said...

oh girl, you are sooooo funny. this is why i love you.

Deborah said...

I agree, quite funny and oh so cool.

Teresa said...

She is funny. Also, the "Fresca-esque" drink WAS very pink, Biscuit REALLY does not like it, and wifey AIN'T lying about the burping. (The SodaStream actually calls for just three charges in its literature, not the four to five Sporks is pumping, making for ultra-bubbly waters.)

Powell and Loy we are not, but we're just a touch more sophisticated now that SodaStream is in our lives. And I enjoy how much Sporks is enjoying her new kitchen friend.

alice, uptown said...

And all this time I thought your dog was Asta.