Search This Blog

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Serial carogamous

"Am I obsessed with justifying this decision?"  I asked Honey.

"Every human want to justify her decisions.  It's what makes us human," was her reply.

I had noted that I would be glad not to have to worry about the size of open parking places in the really impacted Whole Foods parking lot.  This was after saying early this very afternoon, that I would be glad:

1) Not to have to worry about the enormous blind spots on the FJ

2) Not to get 18 mpg

3) Not to have my car mistaken for a Hummer ever again

I may have come up with another thing or two or three.  Or eleven.

You see, friends and blogreaders, it's a mere three years after procuring my Toyota FJ Cruiser and enduring the summer of 08, where filling it up was a $65-75 endeavor that had to be done every 300 miles (or fewer).  Usually fewer.  And my time with the FJ is drawing to a close.  Not because I leased it.  Not because there's anything wrong with it.  But because I just can't deal with it any more.  I've got other reasons.  I'll throw some around now:

I've been furloughed from work two days a months with an accompanying 10% pay cut.  I would like my car to be cheaper.

It has faux-suicide doors and very few adults want to get into its back seat.

It will need new tires in the next six months and that will cost $1000 or more and I still won't be able to change them by myself, given how large they are.

Gas is back up over $3.00 a gallon.

Americans still want "cute" SUVs and the FJ is cute.  And newish.  And retro.  Someone will want it.  It still has value.

I don't like having to hoist up into it.

I would like to make less impact on the environment.  It qualified for Cash for Clunkers.  A 2007 vehicle.  Seriously.

I know, by the by, that someone else will buy it and use it and they will make an impact on the environment with it.  That will be partially my fault.  I'm ok with that.

Ok, see what I mean about justifying what I want to do?  A lizard brained serial carogamous, I am.

Anyway, all of which is to say, I put a deposit down on a 2010 VW Golf TDI.  Clean Diesel.  40mpg.  German made, just like my Passat of yore.  $1300 tax break.

It won't be here until December or January.  In the meantime, though, I'm a little obsessed.  In a good way.  Want to see what it will look like?!

graphgolf

That one is British, but it's the color I ordered.

We had our usual terrible time with car dealers trying to get one ordered.  We went to test drive the Jetta TDI (same engine) to make sure I liked it and to order one.  It's not even worth going into much detail about how much both dealers we visited did sucketh.  Van Nuys VW and Livingston VW both refused to take my order, had marked up the TDI cars above MSRP, and said that the dealers who would take orders were "lying."   Commonwealth VW has my business in buying the car for sure.   Some car advice:

1) Do your research on the interwebs before you go

2)  Walk away from people who call you "ma'am" in a condescending way and

3)  Always always always always bring Teresa.

Then you'll be fine.

More details to come, I'm sure.  Vroom (in a clean diesel way).

5 comments:

Deborah said...

Advice points 1 and 2, will do, no prob. How much lead time would Teresa need?

Lovely ride. :)

Teresa said...

I'm generally available on fairly short notice so long as the plane ticket is paid for (and, presumably, I can stay with you). Seriously, slimeball car dealers hate me. Takers?

I think the Passat is my favorite of your previous cars, however much I value having "utility" when we need it. But really, how often DO we need to rent a rototiller or buy lumber? (Bike hauling is easily achieved with a roof or hitch rack.)

I admittedly liked the Audi too. A lot. But I wasn't the one paying for repairs.

I'm totally on board with the TDI decision. And yes, we should be able to change our own flats from here on out (criminy, those FJ tires are wonky).

weese said...

oh... and next time for sure...i will take Teresa.

weese said...

i feel your pain.
we got rid of the wrangler for very similar reasons.
and we had only had it for 3 years.
i passed down my cabrio to my wife...which also sucks on gas - but hey, its a convertible so we're coping.
and i got the new civic.
i am very happy with it.
tho i think i should have given the Fit more consideration.
its quite a bit more cost effective and the gas mileage is just a tad higher.
and its cute... well by my cuteness standards.

PixieFlute said...

New car looks cute!

Great advice on #1, we did that for the last two cars we bought, definitely saved us money, time, and headaches.