Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Sleep, on not getting enough

It may be a sign of getting old, but I find myself increasingly unable to sleep through the night. Honey has always maintained that I am truly amazing in my ability to get to sleep in the first place.

Lately, I've been waking up in the middle of the night. For a while, I wrote it off to pee needs. Go ahead, I'd tell myself, pee and the you'll drop right back off to sleep.

I really don't want to get too reliant on non prescription sleeping pills. Drugs are bad. Nancy Reagan said so.

Truth is, though, when I wake up in the middle of the night, I become acutely aware of discomfort. My ears hurt from the ear plugs I wear because of the dogs. My arms hurt because I tend to fall asleep with them underneath me. My brain comes alive with it's weird loopy patterns. Song lyrics have dominated lately. I rarely get back to sleep.

I still haven't solved the sleep number crevasse problem. (And before anyone asks, no I didn't call them back, despite their offer to help. I don't have the information she asked for and can't really get it--given that we have the "cheap ass sleep number" (or CASN).

So, for now, it's going to have to be Advil PM or Simply Sleep. I'd blame this all on my recent transition to my fifth decade, but since it predates that, I'll just assume it's some kind of karmic punishment for, well, bad karma.

Point of post, for those who like such summations:

WHINE

Thank you, that is all.

12 comments:

Deborah said...

I've come to embrace my non-sleepingness as one of the few quirks that makes me, me.

zzzzzzz Sleep, it's what's for dinner. ;)

chapin said...

The sandman has passed up this house as well the past few nights. I'm not sure what is going on but I hope I figure it out sooner rather than later.

eb said...

One word, four letters:

yoga

treecup said...

I have the waking up in the middle of the night problem too, as evidenced by this post at 3 am. My problem is thinking about work.

weese said...

didn't you just turn 40.
welcome aboard.

and listen to E... yoga is a great idea. as well as changing what and when you eat.
I am so intune with this now that I can tell you which nights i won't sleep based on what i eat and drink during the day.
(also...its time for you to run out and get your copy of The Wisdom of Menapause)

sporks said...

Isn't yoga a cult?

RUN out, weese? Likely. Very likely. Teresa's mother did call her on her 40th birthday and say, "well, now you'll be going through the menopause, then."

weese said...

fine... just stroll. thats better anyway - since you're over 40 now.
(do you have your walmart magno glasses yet?)

Shannon said...

I second (or 3rd?) the yoga motion. Though timing and exertion level are important even with that.

Don't eat past 7pm. Wear yourself out. Quit getting so dang drunk every night. Seriously, I am SO with you on the waking up in the middle of the night. LOTS of factors, as your many loved ones have shared herewith.

Let us know what works...so we can try.
Shan

SassyFemme said...

I so rarely sleep through the night anymore, either I'm waking up, or the kittens are waking me up. It seems that once I'm awake my brain kicks in, and then I just toss and turn. I keep hearing it's an age thing. Ugh.

admin said...

I knew you'd hit on the two problems, ST. Drinking and lack of yoga. Glad this problem got solved (she says before 8 on a Saturday morning).

WenWhit said...

I don't care if it's perimenopause, anxiety, or restless pets: not sleeping SUCKS.

Yoga, my ass. Xanax, baby!

alice, uptown said...

If you want OTC sleep stuff, go for plain, old-fashioned, generic Dramamine or Benedryl. Both are antihistamines that have grogginess as a side effect, which is just what you are looking for. If you don't need the Advil, you might as well put one less drug in your system.

For me, sleep is better when psycho-pharmacologically enhanced.