Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Um, eww

Teresa told me yesterday about a friend and colleague of hers who used to be subjected to his mother's one and only dessert recipe which involved bananas and Miracle Whip (and water and sugar).

All day, while trying to make some sense of the mess that is my office, my brain loop (and my brain is VERY loop-rific right now) keeps slinging by the banana/Miracle Whip combo. Brain loops drive me crazy. They seem to have gotten worse as I've gotten older. I worry sometimes that in 20 years or so I'll only be able to think about one thing. Corn Flakes. An episode of Cheers. Poppies. While I'm not focused on any of those things right now, if you had told me 24 hours ago that one (of several) of my current obsessive brain loops would be bananas and Miracle Whip, I'd have laughed. I never know what road signs my brain will think to linger by.

I just Googled bananas and Miracle Whip and came up with a large hit total. 244,000 hits. Many of which recipe.

I loathe Miracle Whip, by the way, so I'm doubly horrified at the idea of two hundred thousand web sites that concern themselves with it vis a vis bananas.

The additional problem with this loop pattern is that it inevitably leads me down food free association roads best not traveled.

Peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches (which I have been offered on multiple occasions).

Pimento cheese.

Mushrooms.

Tomato mucus.

Goose grease French toast.

I could go on. Given the current state of my brain, I probably will internally.

miracle_whip.jpg

Shudder

6 comments:

WenWhit said...

Girl, I love Miracle Whip as only Southern(ish) White Trash can... and even *I* think that the combo of MW, bananas, water and sugar is disgusting.

Thanks for the tomato mucus thought - pretty sure that'll be my own loop for the next while...

Blech.

Deborah said...

I second the tomato mucus disgust. Peanut butter & mayo? double blech.

eb said...

My grandmother liked Spam and Miracle Whip sandwiches. Ugh. If there is any evidence that aliens have visited this planet it would have to be the presence of Miracle Whip.

That and Tang. Both are out of this world disgusting.

weese said...

I have to agree with eb.
tho freakishly i used to enjoy deviled ham.

sporks said...

I HEART deviled ham. I can't bring myself to look at how much sodium and fat it has, so I no longer eat it. I miss it, though. Word to Armour.

chapin said...

I'm a fat free Mayo sorta gal but I get by with Miracle Whip when I visit the folks. At Thanksgiving we make a salad that uses Miracle Whip, Sugar, and Vinegar dressing. Oh the joys of Miracle Whip!!