Search This Blog

Sunday, April 27, 2008

What's left over

OK, fair warning...

This post is about poop and pee. Really. So, if that's going to gross you out, may I suggest pineapples or nene? Those posts don't involve poop at all and are escapist besides. Imagine yourself in Hawaii. See, isn't that nice?

For those of you who are ready for poop, here we go:

As I have pointed out on more occasions than most people would ever want to hear, we have too many pets. It's not that any one of them makes for "too much." Rather, all sixteen paws add up to more paws than our four feet can manage.

Let's have a roll call, ok?

Calif?



Ah, there she is. 14 years of fussy but sweet kitty.

Halo?



Oh, look Halo brought her meerkat lovah, in somewhat the same way that Dawn Denbo brought her lover Cindy everywhere on The L Word this season. Actually, it's not really the same. Halo and the Meerkat only had the one tryst and it was documented on my trusty Rebel. Halo is going on six and is a svelte six pounds.

Biscuit? Scout?



We've been calling Biscuit "cockerdome" recently because the last time I got her groomed (really, shaved down, but it makes me feel better to have spent $50 on something called grooming than on something called shaving), I asked that the groomer to leave the top of her head alone. I wanted it left alone because it sometimes can be formed into a forelock that makes Biscuit look like a member of Spandau Ballet. We may have sung (in her "voice") "True" a few times.



 



Doesn't she kind of look like the guy on the left?

Anyway, the groomer said, "oh, you want me to leave the cocker dome." Thus, Biscuit has become "cockerdome." We may have noted on an occasion or two that she is "beyond cockerdome." Ok, that was my only Mel Gibson reference, I promise. Biscuit is four.

Scout, the most junior member of the quadrapeds, is going on two. He still has a touch of puppy mange and is one of the sweetest dogs I've ever been around.

So everyone is accounted for. Lovely.

Lately Calif has cemented her status as "pet most likely to put waste in inappropriate places." We have one rug that gets washed with so much frequency that the washer must really feel bonded to it. Whether this plot loss is a function of senility, spite, or some combination of both can only be known by the Calif litterbox committee of one.

A few weeks ago I was wearing my slippers and Biscuit came up and started to gently remove something from the bottom of the sole. When I jerked my foot away from her, I noticed a dried piece of cat poop. I had cleaned some up earlier in the day, but must have missed this one (by conveniently stepping on it and fusing it to my slipper). I immediately threw those slippers away. It wasn't a great loss. Still.

Biscuit manages to absent herself appropriately, but her devotion to cat poop as a snack may exceed her devotion to the squeaky football. We call it almond roca. Did I ruin almond roca for you just now? Sorry.

Halo mostly does as she should litterbox-wise, her destructive tendencies are more claw than waste based, so I need to give her some props. Ha-lo. Ha-lo.

All of this brings us to Scout. We were out-of-town last week and Scout and Biscuit went to "dog camp." When Honey brought them home last Saturday, he ran into the house and lifted his leg and peed on the side of the couch. Since then he's peed on the kitchen trashcan twice, my bathroom rug once, and I stopped him from peeing on one of the chairs in the living room. All this from a dog we got housebroken in two days. We've got theories (adolescent male dogness, a bladder infection, kennel-based psychosis, and inaccessibility of preferred backyard pee spots because of yard overgrowth). Whatever the cause, he's making me unhappy.

Last weekend, while doing yard work in the aforementioned overgrown backyard, I found poopland. I shoveled and shoveled. There were hundreds of poops that had previously been obscured by the overgrowth.

All of these pet waste issues compound my frustration over the continued, but not catastrophic, malfunction of our champion toilet.

It won't stop running. When your champion toilet isn't functioning like a champion, it may be emblematic of a larger problem.

There are no simple solutions to managing waste. Therefore, I suppose that my wish for everyone is that your waste management goes smoothly. In the meantime, if you're looking for me, I'm probably washing rugs, coaxing a toilet into stopping, or frolicking in poopland with my poop slippers.

Thus endeth the poop post, appropriately enough, in poopland.

6 comments:

SassyFemme said...

I can relate to this far too much. Molly will give any dog a run for their money when it comes to litter box snacking. I wouldn't be so bitchy about it if she didn't leave the litter crumbs behind on freshly vacuumed floors. Then there are the kittens who love to swipe poop out of the litter box and play poop hockey with it. We never know where we'll find the shit! Our 14 year old cat is a little on the large side and often misses the litter box upstairs. I know we should just get a bigger box, but we haven't, yet. They're all lucky they're damned cute!

Yours are adorable, btw.

weese said...

see this is the problem with pets.
its the output.
we have only one dog (well ...and several rodents - blog post to come) but she sheds like half a dozen dogs, and she has the strangest poop issue.
She is completely and utterly house broken. she has NEVER, not even once, not even as a puppy had an accident in the house. but lately...seemingly unbeknownst to her she drops these little (like peanut sized) poop balls. for no reason that we, or our vet, can figure out.
freaky.

Deborah said...

Nice pics. So far the 4-legged pooper & pee-ers in residence are doing the pooping and peeing in an acceptable manner.

However, thanks to this post, responses & others like it, I am aware that this can change suddenly, without notice and seemingly without reason, let alone rhyme.

Sage said...

I guess I am lucky, my dog is a fancy pooper, he likes to poop on things. Sides of trees, in planters, on a box...anything left out that is butt high. He does it so I dont have to bend over so far I guess. He did poop on the neighbor kids soccer ball..that was actually funny.

Teresa said...

Can we please bleach Biscuit's forelock so that she can more closely resemble the Spandau Ballet guy with the highlights? I'll never ask for anything again.

lynt said...

first time comment here. but i'm lmao -- adorable pups/kits and mighty entertaining posts. and please, if you do bleach the forelock, post a pic.