Search This Blog

Monday, March 06, 2006

Giving stuff away

So I had these baseball tickets for the World Baseball Classic at Angel stadium next week. I bought a strip (as they say in the biz). I had tickets for Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Honey and I are going Sunday and I had sold (face value, no service charge) the Tuesday tickets to a wacky woman who works in the Dean's office. I was going to go on Thursday, but IHE business takes me to our nation's capital next week. I asked around to see if anyone wanted them at work. No takers.

I then thought I'd just give them away on craigslist. I like the free section and I don't want to sell tickets to a stranger. Weird thing.

So I post them on craigslist. I described them and asked people to send me their name and address. I said the first e-mail with an address that made it to my mailbox would get them. I check an hour later and found 21 e-mails.

A lot of people asked me to e-mail them back. Some left their phone numbers. Others left pleas about how their dad loved baseball. One sent a picture of a child and no other information.

One said that he had been she had been trying to get tickets to the WBC "since forever." I resisted the temptation to e-mail her back with the www.mlb.com link. There are tickets available for $12 each in the same section as mine (I just checked). And forever could only be since, say, last fall when the WBC was announced. I had always thought of it as longer.

It's sort of the angels dancing on the head of a pin. If the answer is one, I'll be as dissapointed as I am now knowing that forever is less than six months.

One person replied to the follow-up where I said the tickets were gone asking if they were still available. Um, no.

A couple of people wanted to make sure they were "contacting the right guy" before they gave their address. Now, I understand hesitating about givine one's address out on one level. On the other hand, I offered the things for free.

I got some phone numbers and an offer to come pick them up.

Several people thanked me for offering them.

The "winner" (she was the third to get her e-mail in, but the first to include her address) wanted to take her six year old kid. I hope they have a great time (and that she's telling the truth). And to the people who tried, sorry I couldn't help you all and thanks to those who were kind.

I may give something away again soon. I liked it.

I miss Kirby Puckett already. Happy baseball season.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Forever being 6 months does not bode well for the afterlife. Unless I'm going to hell, in which case, yay, a reprieve!

bryduck said...

The metaphysical person, of course, would then be forced to grapple with the question, "What comes after 'forever'?" In our case, apparently, March 21 does, since that's the day after the championship . . .

Teresa said...

Free to first responder who provides proof of lack of heart condition:

Cat, calico, altered female, small, some cream cheese and orange juice on paws from morning mishap. Cute!

Dog, black, altered female, medium, muddy as f*ck, some kitty litter on lips. Cute!

Dog is very cat-aggressive.

Must take both!