Search This Blog

Thursday, March 23, 2006

It's my birfday

So break out the party hats...





And somebody bring ugly or weird cake...









And while you're thinking of me, remember others who were born today:













(If you get the last two, I'm impressed).

Other things worth noting from March 23:

Handel's "The Messiah" was first performed, 1743

Patrick Henry gives the "Give me liberty or give me death" speech, 1775

Lewis and Clark head back east, 1806

First ever use of "OK" in a newspaper, 1839

In the Roman Empire this is the fifth and final day of Quinquatria, held in honor of Minerva.

So, happy birfday to me and all this other stuff.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!

for the record, I only recognized Chaka Khan :(

sporksforall said...

I'll give the key...

Wernher VonBraun--a key figure in modern space flight

Roger Bannister--first four minute miler

Chaka Kahn--what more needs to be said?

Joan Crawford--no wire hanger references, please

Schuyler Colfax--Vice-Preisdent of the United States under Ulysses S. Grant--first term only.

Alydar--famously raced second to Affirmed in all three Triple Crown horse races in 1978

Teresa said...

I'm afraid I failed you on your birthday. There were no party hats, and the cake I made you looked pretty much like a bundt cake should—nothing terribly weird or ugly about it.

As for famous March 23 birthdays, what about Akira Kurosawa, Doc Watson, and Keri Russell? There's a triptych for you.

Slangred said...

'Appy, 'appy birseday, Ayleezabet. (Poop on zee treks, anyone?)
:)

bryduck said...

Forgive my slacking; belated bday to you!