Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Some Wednesday thoughts

Honey writes great blog entries and organizes them into wonderful essays. I am not that organized. That's why I leave my shoes all over the house. So, herewith, some Wednesday thoughts:

Tomorrow I interview for my job. It's the job I have now. I have to convince people that I should keep it. There's another guy interviewing on Friday. I decided I couldn't be on campus while he was also on campus. I didn't want to try to avoid him.

So Honey and I are going to San Francisco for the weekend. We're taking our bikes, staying at a high thread count sheet hotel, and going to Citizen Cupcake.

I had a weak moment when I found out his name and googled him and looked up his dissertation. He's published more than I have. I know nothing else about him. I also took a small comfort in the fact that my name is pretty common, making googling me hard. In fact, you can't find me in the first ten pages of google hits on my name unless you include my middle initial, middle name, or some other pertinent detail. He could, however, look up my dissertation if he chose to.

I share my name with a famous madam (now deceased). When Heidi Fleiss was arrested in the early 90s, I got A LOT of phone calls for the madam. I lived in L.A. (so did the madam) and they all wanted to talk to her about Ms. Fleiss. My favorite calls were the ones where the reporter found the mix-up funny. My least favorite calls were the East Coast doofuses who called at 6am. Madam wouldn't have liked to be called then either.

Her death, my relocation to a particularly unglamorous part of the San Fernando Valley, and the current lack of notorious madams have conspired to keep those phone calls from me. Someone organized that particular conspiracy, I'm pretty sure.

Speaking of conspiracies...what cloud came over the Cardinals last night? They lost 20-6 to the White Sox. My National League-only fantasy team was not helped by the Cards' starting pitcher and "star" for my team. His stats from last night (look away from the horror):
2.3 IP
9 ER
4.268 WHIP
34.71 ERA

Yikes. Fortunately, Matt Morris did better beating the Angels. Is it wrong to root against my favorite team because one of my fantasy team is pitching against them? Interleague play is nice in that I can root unconditionally for the National League boys.

I'm going to tea to celebrate a friend's new adopted baby this afternoon. The baby is darling; the friend a lovely woman. Tea tastes good, but I'm so awkward that tea makes me feel like a giant freak. It's like I'm Biscuit in the tea room. I'll try not to break anything. No promises, though.

Honey watched Biscuit celebrating the "go out" suggestion last night and noted that Biscuit is anything but feminine. Honey claims that all dogs are boys at heart. Watching Biscuit flop around doesn't make me question that observation.

I wasn't going to quote Shakespeare about my upcoming ordeal, but the Macbeth quote calls out to me...

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death.

:)

Here are some good things that will happen tomorrow:

Eric Milton will face off against Pedro Martinez. Here's hoping for a 1-0 game, a no hitter by Pedro, an unearned run given up by a Reds' reliever in the ninth. Milton and Pedro are both on my fantasy team.

Meryl Streep, Cyndi Lauper, and Andreas Kloden* will have really happy birthdays

It's National Onion Ring Day

The American Library Association will begin their annual conference in New Orleans

The NBA and NHL seasons will still be over

Francisco Franco will still be dead

And I won't have to worry about my interview any more!

*What? You don't know who Andreas Kloden is? He finished second in the 2004 Tour de France. He rides (a bicycle) for T-Mobile.

13 comments:

Suzanne said...

National Onion Ring Day? I absolutely must celebrate!

Enjoy that interview.
Really.
Luck and such.
Not that you'll need it.

WenWhit said...

Pedro I can buy, but Eric Milton? Woman, have you looked at his ERA recently??? Oh, that's right - NL-only league. You're desperate. Ummm... good luck. Maybe you're due after the awful showing from Mulder.
Ironically enough, yesterday was my best fantasy day so far this season thanks to multi-homer games from Ryan Howard and Mags Ordonez. Probably means I'm in for a beating.

It's nice to see someone else is glad to basketball and hockey are finally over.

Good luck with your team, your tea, and your job. Enjoy the onion rings and San Fran!

WenWhit said...

Fark. I'm not going to delete the previous comment and rewrite it. Instead I'm going to ask you to mentally erase that "to" that has no business in that sentence. :)

sporksforall said...

Listen, typo away in typo-queen's blog.

As to Milton, I picked him up post injury and his stats for me are:

3 W 30 K 1.05 WHIP and 3.86 ERA

Compare, say with Sean Marshall, who I also am "fortunate" enough to have on my team:

2 W 24 K 1.82 WHIP and 6.53 ERA

NL only is slim pickings. That said, I'm in the middle of the league BECAUSE of my pitchers. Don't even ask me about Hits, Runs, and RBI. Really.

Onion rings all around!

sporksforall said...

Oh and my proudest moment this year? Drafting Bronson Arroyo for 10 cents.

WenWhit said...

I too snatched up Arroyo - but I'm not sure Suzanne has forgiven me for it. Bad enough to "own" a Red Sox player, but a cocky white boy with corn rows just might be too much.

I see your point about Milton but I'll just say again: good luck. :)

Unknown said...

Interview: Knock 'em dead. I know you will.

Slangred said...

Heartiest wishes for a great interview. And a lovely tea-time.

I think I'll toast you with some onion rings today.

bryduck said...

Onion rings? Onion rings?!! Ack. And hey, howzabout the Reds getting to win on that unearned run instead, eh? Sheesh. Onion rings and a Reds loss. What'd I ever do to you?

sporksforall said...

Just to prove wenwhit knows and I don't...

Milton (6/22/06) 9 Hits, 6 Earned Runs, 2.538 WHIP, 12.46 ERA

Go team. (Pedro did do fine).

WenWhit said...

Err, um, aren't you going to San Fran? ;p

sporksforall said...

Honey wanted to work a half day today. So, I'm reading blogs (including my own!) instead of packing.

WenWhit said...

You do realize, I trust, that we jinxed Mr. Arroyo's performance on Saturday by bragging of our ownership?
*sigh*