Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Teeveee thoughts

We are, as my favorite TV critic Heather Havrilesky says, in the "superficial, puerile charms of the worst that TV has to offer." In other words, the summer months. I've said before, and will undoubtedly says again: I watch too much teevee. I also talk about teevee too much. And this admission and truth is all in an era when I have stopped obsessing quite so directly over certain teevee shows, most notably Buffy, The Vampire Slayer. That Buffy has gone off the air helps considerably, but the lame-o seventh season and death of Tara were also factors.

I have also claimed, and will claim again, that our tifaux (our fake Tivo) has changed the way I interact with teevee. It also keeps me from watching baseball, an activity I enjoy and don't do much of. Oh well. Life is about trade-offs.

Now that the Tour de France is over, with such a spectacular pre and post doping scandal that cycling may never be the same again and may never get broadcast on American teevee again, I could enter the doldrums.

Instead, I have taken a few stands (with Honey), made a few discoveries, and generally feel good about my ability to make it until Battlestar Galactica season 3 (also known as Spork Christmas).

My stands:

*Jackie Warner of Work Out is hot. I could watch the show every week just because she's hot. Her girlfriend is psycho. But she is hot.

*I do not need to ever watch Big Brother again. I'm done. Forever. Buh-bye.

*Dilana on Rock Star is awesome. As Honey said last night, she could sing the phone book and it would be good. This is how much I like her. When I figured out she was going near the end last night, I was glad. It made me feel as if the show was about her. Fucking amazing. I can't believe I'm going to say this about a metal band...if they pick her as their singer, I'm going to become a fan. Of a group with Tommy Lee in it. Me. Folk music liking me.

*Project Runway is still the best reality show ever. And I don't care a little bitty bit about fashion. I like Laura, the middle-aged architect, who always dresses in crisp professional clothes. She's seems like someone from a 40s movie.

Here's the most important stand:

*I will watch Weeds. You should, too. Whether you have Showtime or not. YouTube, iTunes, Netflix, however you need to get your fix (har!), get Weeds. I admit a long-time fascination with Mary-Louise Parker. Seeing Proof on Broadway was one of the entertainment highlights of my life. Elizabeth Perkins and the rest of the cast achieves superbity, too. Though Kevin Nealon could go away and I'd be able to get through my day.

Oh, and one non-teeve stand...

*If your Honey wants to see The Descent, even if you're a scary movie wimp, go. And if you have claustrophobia issues, just go to the bathroom when they start crawling through the really narrow passage. You'll be fine, at least more fine than any of the spelunkers.

9 comments:

Middle Girl said...

I discovered Jackie and Work Out just last week and YUP-she is hot! Haven't decided if I like the show-but so far, Jackie alone, is tune-in power enough-yummy.

With you on the Weeds wagon as well. Mary Louise seems to always deliver-whenever, wherever.

Slangred said...

I wholeheartedly agree about Project Runway being the best reality show ever. I'm liking Rockstar: Supernova right up there next to it right now, so much so that I wish I had been watching it from the start. (I didn't watch the INXS one, which looked pretty lame.) I'm still watching Big Brother, though I've left my fiery passions behind (except I still dislike James with a white-hot intensity, but I don't really care who wins, even if it's James).

I wish I had been watching Battlestar Galactica, and will watch Weeds. I used to hate the way the tip of MLP's nose moves with her upper lip when she talks, but now I like her, moving nose-tip and all; in fact the moving nose-tip endears her to me all the more. It's "our" thing. Or something.

Teresa said...

Funny thing, though, we made a conscious decision to drop TV shows from our lineup, and have done so, but I'm still not doing any of the things I should be doing instead of watching television. Where have I gone wrong?

Dilana: Grrr. MLP: Grrr. Jackie Warner: Grrr. Spelunking chicks stuck in caves with subhumans: Awesome!

WenWhit said...

I don't watch any of those shows... but I might just have to check out a lesbian hottie exercising. *leers*

Good luck with your stands.

Unknown said...

It lasted one season and it's not coming back, but you must, must, must, see Surface. Get it on dvd. It was easily as good as Galactica and will hold you over until BG returns.

WenWhit said...

I spent several months obsessively watching La Femme Nikita repeats every afternoon.

sporksforall said...

All this La Femme Nikita talk had me standing in Borders today contemplating the dvd set.

Um, Treecup, good friend of mine, anyone who watches all of the Stargate series is suspect in recommendations,

Unknown said...

My admitted love for all things Stargate notwithstanding, Surface was truly of a different caliber. Completely different animal. Really. You won't regret it.

bryduck said...

Jackie. Maybe it's a L thing, because I don't see it, as she annoys me incredibly. I hope it's not because she's a powerful woman (which would be horribly misogynistic of me), but rather because I find her to be radically egocentric and self-absorbed to a great fault. Maybe one has to be that way to be a success in business, and maybe that's why I find most successful businesspeople personally offputting. Sorry 'bout that.
And don't get me started on anti-TV ranters. As if reading "Great Expectations" and seeing obscure foreign films are the only acceptable forms of entertainment. Sheesh. TV, like any other artform, can be either transcendent or drivel. It all depends on what your taste is and what you're watching, doesn't it? Grrrr.
Oops, I'm sorry, people. Sore spot found!