Search This Blog

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Growing up

On Saturday, Honey and I grew up. Sure, evidence suggests that we had already done so. We own a house, have cars we make payments on, own pets. We're edging into middle-age (Honey claims we're already there, but she's SIX MONTHS older than I am, so she'll get there first--those six months will be sweet (even if I'm in them right now)).

The day started normally, I guess. I had one goal for the afternoon, and that was to get a substantial start on my Christmas buying. I have pledged to not enter a mall until 2007. I'm happy to go to stores that are divorced from malls, but I will not go to the mall. Nope. Several hours and the memorization of my Visa's special secret number later, I had a number of gifts bought, "wrapped," and on their way. When my mother called and suggested that my sister-in-law liked outfits from Nordstroms, I haughtily pointed out that Nordstroms was at the MALL and that L'Occitane, which she also likes, was online and size-free. That and I can't bring myself to buy clothes for my sister-in-law. She's a wonderful person, but I won't buy size 4 clothes on principle.

Anyway, while I was being online shopper/shipper, Honey was readying us for our growing up.

Working as I do, in academics, I have made friends with folks who are older than I am. One of them is retiring early and leaving the area. We were invited to a going away party for her last week, which we were late to because...we were invited to TWO parties the same night. We are just that popular.

Anyway, we wanted to invite them over to our house for a smaller gathering, having been invited several times to theirs. Time is running short. She leaves in two weeks. We're going to Las Vegas next weekend (woo-hoo!) and my parents' the weekend after. So last night was it.

A dinner party.

Honey made beef, potatoes, and asparagus. We followed with chocolate chip cookies for desert. People like those things. They don't get served at dinner parties, at least in my experience, but each thing was greeted with enthusiasm.

We don't have it quite down. Biscuit was REALLY aggressive when the first guests arrived and therefore had to spend the evening outside. We didn't have six of any silverware (knife, fork, or spoon). The guests got the "good" flatware and the steak knives. We don't have a butter knife. The fire made the house a little hot. I got cork residue in two bottles of wine and had to replace wine glasses. We don't have enough wine glasses, so people had to use the same one all evening, at least until it became corky. Then they could have a new one. I didn't buy enough sparkling water or enough of the same kind of wine.

But the conversation was good, the food was eaten, people stayed for the whole evening.

Honey said she kept wanting to ask our guests (both couples are veteran entertainers) how we were doing. When we cleaned up the kitchen after everyone had parted, we agreed we had done well, especially for our first attempt to have a dinner party for more than two other people.

How we mark passage changes over time, I know. Last night, Honey and I did something we had never done before. It went well. And this morning, we're just a little more worldly. I'm even tempted to see if we can get six each of these:



but then I remind myself that that might involve a trip to the mall. That, and there's not a spork in sight. What's up with that? Sporks belong in fine dining...but I don't have six sporks either. Oh well, someday I'll get it exactly right and then I'll be a grown-up.

10 comments:

WenWhit said...

Excellent post, Sporks. I giggled in a decidedly un-butch fashion. :)

Anonymous said...

you should have place settings for at least 8 (10 is better, because someone always shows up)
and don't be tempted to buy flatware online... well technically you can buy it online - just be sure to experience it first. it should have a 'heft' and balance that pleases you.
then all you need is a simple set of water glasses and some sturdy wine glasses and you should be set.
these days serving bowls can be eclectic so no worry there.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could become a billionaire by introducing the spork to snazzy dining ware.

Suzanne said...

I wholeheartedly support your avoidance of malls. I have a similar goal.

Your kitchen seems to be outfitted much in the same way ours is. While it would be lovely to have 10 matching placesettings and wine glasses aplenty, there's something to be said for minimalism!

Middle Girl said...

First, laughed until I cried.

Matching sets? I'm having trouble these days even find 4 of even the mis-matched utensils--I'm convinced someone's eating the silver right along with the spaghetti.

Malls? Uh uh.

Anonymous said...

we actually don't have service for 10.
we are not growing up. we are regressing.
soon we'll just have a bowl, a plate and a spork.

sporksforall said...

Sporks are an evolution, not a devolution.

Teresa said...

I should emphasize that our guests didn't all have to use the same glass; they each had one of their own, each etched with the name of the winery from which it was earned when we attended a wine tasting there.

I would also like to emphasize that beef, potatoes, and asparagus sounds awfully pedestrian. How about something more like:

•Tri-tip de Santa Maria with marinade reduction de Trader José
•Smashed parmesan new potatoes
•Pan-roasted asparagus with artisanal olive oil and fresh-ground sea salt
•Rustic focaccia de Vons
•Chocolate chip cookies (no way to spin those, really)

Now who's a grown-up?

Anonymous said...

hmm, the spork as an evolution. hmm, this is a very 'heavy' topic man.
i am gonna go get my bong and just hang with this one for awhile.

sporksforall said...

Weese, get the bong out, but when you get the munchies, have something with a spork. You'll get into the zen of the most versatile utensil of all.