Search This Blog

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Therapist theories

My therapist is very tall.

Today I watched from my couch vantage point as she looked for a book on a lower shelf in her office and was struck again by how tall she seems. She's also thin, which makes her seem taller.

The book she was looking for concerns itself with a subject I struggle with mightily. By looking for it, she was essentially diagnosing someone else. "Why Dr. C (I used her whole name) are you doing a remote diagnosis on someone you've never met?" In her very therapist way, she neither confirmed nor denied that she was.

She offered to loan me the book. I demurred, figuring my uni's library would have it. Turns out they don't. I see her one more time before the end of the year. I could borrow it then. I could order it from interlibrary loan. I could buy it from Amazon who are offering free 2-day shipping upgrades today.

The Amazon thing is pretty funny. "Here, we'll rush you a book on psychiatric disorders just in time for holiday gift giving!" Or at least that's how it seems to me.

Honey offered to buy it for me if I'd read it in the presence of the person who was semi-diagnosed today by my therapist. Again, I demurred.

I wonder sometimes if I believe in my therapist, in part at least, because she is so tall and so calm. We all need something to believe in, after all.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

don't tell me i'm the only one wondering if you are trying to diagnose me!

aha -- diagnosis: paranoia!

Suzanne said...

You are tall, too. So you also believe in yourself. Maybe your comfort with tall starts there.

I wonder also who your therapist was attempting to remotely diagnose. The list could be endless!

WenWhit said...

A tall, thin, lesbian therapist... is she hot?

Anonymous said...

ooo hot, tall, thin lesbian therapists.
sign me up for her couch.

see how we degenerates can take a serious, deep topic and totally make it about sex.
hey where is Syd when you need her.

sporksforall said...

I like how y'all are all assuming she's hot and that maybe she diagnosed you.

Lie down and relax. It won't hurt a bit.

Teresa said...

Is she hot? I've never personally met her, but there must be some reason Sporks insists on paying a private therapist's rack rate rather than taking her chances with a $15-copay Kaiser shrink. And don't be talking no shit about Kaiser therapists; I have one (who's neither a lesbian nor hot but is nevertheless awesome).

SassyFemme said...

Oh, sex with tall thin lesbians on a couch?

Why is this suddenly feeling like a game of telephone?