Search This Blog

Monday, January 22, 2007

L Word Confession

Ok, here's the deal. Scout and I had never watched The L Word before this season.

Scout doesn't so much like the lesbian cinema/tv thing. I'm always trying to convince her to go to the new lesbian movie because "this one is supposed to be good." Don't get her started about the various ones we've gone to. She doesn't like them. Name one. We've seen it. She hated it.

So...tv seemed safer and she's much more indulgent. She watched Buffy with me during the Willow/Tara greatness and indulges my Elizabeth Mitchell fixation which dates back to the Kerry Weaver coming out storyline on er. Lost is back soon. Sigh. I love me some Elizabeth Mitchell. Anyway, I'll go low on tv. I watch South of Nowhere on The N. Yep, The N--that's Nickelodeon's teen channel. Mmmm Hmmm.

Why not The L Word then? I can't explain it, really. We've always been HBO people and just got Showtime recently. We were earlier Netflix adopters and I could have queued it up. There are Showtime preview weekends. There are ways. For three seasons, no L Word for us. This despite the fact that scout works to promote the Gay Agenda™. We've had opportunities. Hell, we live in Southern California. We could be living the show if we wanted. (Not). When is that damn radio show on KCRW anyway? I listen to that station a lot.

So this season we have Showtime and we've been watching. I have to say that we are enjoying how badly written it is more than anything else. (No offense to big fans).

Here's what's pleased me the most, though...

We were watching last week and I said, "Alice is the hottest." (Scout is particularly anti-Shane, so I figured Alice was an ok preference to state). Scout said, "that's Liesha Hailey and she's actually a lesbian." I was so proud of myself. Spot the gay girl in the cast and think she's hot. How many points do I get? Wait, have I lost them all before I said something for never having watched the show before? Or for loving a woman who hates lesbian movies and tv? Ah well, we've got this week's episode on the tifaux. Scout, I'm sure, can hardly wait.

7 comments:

Teresa said...

We just watched it. My reaction to this week's episode: "If I never see Katharine Moennig in another role, it'll be too soon." Maybe it's her hair, or her pseudo-tragedian character, or the fact that they want us to swallow her as "the butch."

Yup, 'tis true, I'm not much of a fan of the lesbian performing arts. Sue me.

WenWhit said...

Each season has taken a hard turn downhill, in my opinion. Their lives are so radically different from my experience and seem rather implausible... yet we still watch. Hell, we even own the DVDs.

Maybe Scout could do a little cinematic writing? The lesbian community sure does need decent writers.

weese said...

see...its all about the attitude.
yes, wendy - its implausible ...but wasn't Dallas and Knots Landing also ridiculous.
if you are looking for a serious lesbian show - this is not it.
but really... i don't want to watch a show about my life. i don't think it would make good tv.

chapin said...

I'm not a big Shane fan either but she is better than Jenny in my book.

Zoe said...

I am a huge Shane fan. I would never concider her butch and I don't think the character of Shane would see herself that way either. Shane is just who she is and doesn't play into anyones roles or definitions. At least that's how I see it.

I don't give a crap that their lives are implausable, it's tv for heavens sake. I mean really, is there one show, that isn't "reality tv" that is plausible, not that reality tv is plausible. I don't watch The L Word to learn some great life lesson, I watch it to see the hot chicks in hopes that there might be some action. Call me shallow if you will.

I have to agree that every season the show slips a little, but I don't know too many shows that don't. I will admit that I am one who rants about the episodes in blog every monday, but I think we all scrutinzie it to death because it is the only lesbian drama we get. The show can't be everything to everyone. All of us are very different, our lives and our experiences.

KMae said...

Hi Sporks,
Came here from Scout's blog & thought I'd join in.

I do love the L Word & I also see Shane as Butch. oh, well. The fact that she's supposed to be straight in real life amazes me. Oh, & I liked Poppi's character, too. I don't care for Jenny.

My life is NOT like The L Word & I'm grateful for that! Still, I enjoy it because it IS something about lesbians albeit Hollywood style. And it's fun to watch.

As for butches, I've always had a thing for the truck-driver type diesel dykes because I'm from the old school, but I also love the fancy gorgeous butches that have come along in this day & age. Got one of those, myself! However I also respect the younger generation who are not into the butch/femme labels/trip. It's all good, because that is in reality what is us - all of it.

Mystic said...

Ahhh I LOVE Elizabeth Mitchell!

I had no clue that Alice was really gay. My favorite was Dana *cries* oh right you didn´t see last season and she´s gone now. She was really funny. My least favorite... def Tina, and after her Jenny. Funny how I used to love Jenny the first season, now she´s just too weird.