Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Teaching shape

I haven't taught a class since the Summer of 2005. I semi-taught a class last summer and another this fall, but both were cancelled before I could get going.

So today I taught for the first time (for real) in almost two years. While I was InterimDirectorofWhatever, my Dean didn't want me to teach. Now that I am AssociateProfessorandDirectorofWhatever, I have to teach. I can't get tenure otherwise. I didn't want to teach for my return engagement in WhateverProgram, despite my being in charge of it, because the courses are especially challenging to teach. So I graciously (well, I quibbled over the number of students that could enroll) accepted a chance to teach in my PreviousDepartment. It wasn't my Department really. They never let me all the way in the door. I was a (dum dum) lecturer. No status. No job security. The same four classes over and over again. Still, when the chair of PreviousDepartment called and offered me one of those very four classes, I said, "yes."

So, today I went to teach it. Truth be told, I prefer to teach three days a week for 50 minutes. It's easier to be cute for 50 minutes. Here I am teaching twice a week for 75 minutes. Those extra 25 minutes are a killer.

It's a course on gender. I did my usual ice breaker of having everyone say "breast" and "penis" out loud so that they won't be nervous later when we talk about menstruation and genital mutilation. Sounds uplifting doesn't it?

It's a fun class, though, some of the tougher topics aside. I'll be fine. But today I didn't feel so fine. My jokes felt flat; my syllabus overview felt mean. Because it's a prime-time class, there were seven people who wanted to add and stood around the perimeter. Ah, the joys of state education.

I need to re-establish my comfort-level in the classroom. Self-deprecation, wit (such as I have it), and deep breathing will all help. Maybe I should do some shout-outs of "breast" too.

Or maybe not.

10 comments:

weese said...

penis, breast...very clever.
makes me want to take the class.
i am shallow that way.

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain sister. I know what you mean about the extra half an hour or whatever. I ended up watching lots of 1/2 hour anthro films.

I must say you were a great help to me at the beginning of last semester. Five years is a LONG time to be away from something I did only for a short time to begin with.

You'd been at it a while, and you've been gone not as long. I know you'll find your groove just fine.

How about a 1/2 hour genitalia shout-out meditation every class.

Suzanne said...

I just tried the "breast" shout-out technique. Truly I feel more relaxed and confident. I think you should try it too.

I'm shallow like weese. Think of the two of us seated in your classroom!

What color crocs were you wearing? :)

sporksforall said...

No Crocs on the first day. Maybe tomorrow.

ST 1/2 hour seems about right per class. Let me try it.

Everyone should feel free to shout "breast" as needed.

WenWhit said...

Interesting that you say "breast," not "breasts". That's sort of your own kinda shout out, huh? :)

Mystic said...

Breast I wanna shout... penis hmmm not so much lol. God it must be hard teaching a class, I hate to speak in front of people.

chapin said...

If you ever need practice teaching I've got a ton of vacancies. If you like snow you'd be really happy to be here. :-) I don't think I can let you scream "breast" but it might make things more interesting.

sporksforall said...

Well, today I told my peacock sex story. So, I don't think I'm cut-out for K-12.

Teresa said...

I think you should do shout-outs to specific breasts, like, "You, in the stupid hat, nice breasts!" That'll make the class feel invigorating.

Unknown said...

you are consistently funnier than I could ever be (at least the kind of funny where you want people to laugh at you!), and I can't imagine 25 minutes would dampen that.