Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Crying

I'm not much of a cryer. Oh sure, I'll cry when I'm supposed to. Folks I love die. Animals I love die. I have a bad fight with my Honey (never! us fight? no way, man!). Sure, I cry, but not much. I used to even pride myself on not crying. My therapist and I are working on that.

In fact, I think we've been working on it too much. Because I'm crying more. Eight Dogs Below more. That's not what it's called. Eight Below. There you go. Honey and I called it Eight Dogs Out wherein the huskies get left behind and banished from baseball. Anyway, I cried during that movie. I cried when Starbuck died on Battlestar Galactica. I even cried again when Adama cried in the next episode.

I'm not just crying at pop culture. In the car. Whenever. I'm careful about it, mind you. No one's going to see me cry unless they're:

1) My Honey
2) At a funeral
3) My therapist

I've begun to suspect that my crying problem(s) (that is, the lack of before and the excess of currently) are less than noble views into my psyche.

Seeming random segue time:

Honey and I have given up on American Idol. I know, it's good this year and all. But we just have too much teevee and only one Tifaux. Last night I flipped to it between watching tifauxed episodes of Rome and The Dog Whisperer.

I was subjected, unfortunately, to the performance of the kid with the pretty hair. Sanjaya or whatever. That also meant I got to see crying girl.



The camera was as interested in her emotions as I. She was overcome. Deeply moved. Ok, maybe a little hysterical. Histrionic? Over Sanjaya's rendition of a Kinks song. Which was awful. Ears fall off awful.

It's had me thinking all day, dear readers. Would I have been better off in my life had I been able to give over to emotion like that at 13? Is there a way for me to check in with her in 26 years and find out?

Somebody get somebody a kleenex.

9 comments:

Suzanne said...

I'm not big on crying either.

Wendy said she heard someone call that boy "Sangina" which, of course, rhymes with word of the month, vagina. Vote for the Worst in action?

weese said...

me too... pretty dry eyed.
i am the one you want around when everyone else is falling apart.
i am a rock.
tho... i have noticed lately that when i talk about the kids i actually well-up a bit(not the sad kind).
i am blaming it on estrogen.

Anonymous said...

How old are you? That's kind of a rhetorical question if a rhetorical question can be a kind of thing.

You've never had a good cry? I'll have you know that a good cry can cure almost anything and after a good cry...you are one fucking bitch to be reckoned with.

Teresa said...

I, on the other hand, cry. I cry during emotionally manipulative movies, well aware that I am being manipulated. I cry when my feelings are hurt. I cry when bad things happen to good people and small mammals.

Last week on my way home from work I cried after seeing people crowded around a deer that lay on a canyon road, still alive but gravely injured after being hit by a car. I cried for a number of reasons: because dying animals make most nonsociopaths sad; because there are much better places for deer to live than Los Angeles, but L.A. deer don't know this, and even if they did, it's not like they could just pack their little deer bags and move; and because I thought the last thing a terrified, dying deer needed was to be surrounded by a bunch of people, one of whom was kneeling down and stroking its head. Dumb-ass Angelenos.

Ho yeah, I cry. So Sporks' emotional outbursts are safe with me.

Middle Girl said...

Not much of cryer usually, but I do seem to be afflicted with a good cry button. It is tapped at odd times for seemingly inexplicable reasons. I do feel better and much more powerful afterwards. I've been lucky that these bouts happen in private, more times than not.

SassyFemme said...

Oh geez, I cry at the drop of a hat. My mother and I used to joke that we'd cry over cat food commercials. Fran swears I turn them on and off at will, but I don't (much). Never cried over some performer though, that's just weird.

WenWhit said...

That child WAS histrionic, and you would NOT be better off. Gawd. Gag.

het (aka quickfit) said...

crying, oh my, I can cry for England... if it wan an olypic sport I think I might manage a top three finish.... I cry at all the soaps, the soppy songs on the radio... just a big softly me...

I think I need therapy to stop me..

ciao4now x

chapin said...

I do my best to keep all tears inside at all times.
When I get really upset however I seem to lose control of my faucets and the tears come running.
I think Weese is onto something...I'm blaming estrogen or lack thereof for a few of my recent crying episodes.