Search This Blog

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Wonderific



eb over at Emerald Pillows posted her version of the seven wonders of the world. Go look at it, but come back. I'll wait...

So who doesn't like a little meta-blogging? eb got me to thinking and thinking got me to writing. See how this happens? It explains memes for sure. Anyway, when I was a child, I thought I should learn the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. And I did. My grandmother and I even talked once about going to see where they were (for one) or had been (for six). It would be a grand adventure. We should have gone and never did.

Just to be clear, the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World are:

The Pyramids at Giza
The Colossus at Rhodes
The Temple of Artemis at Ephesus
The Statue of Zeus at Olympus
The Lighthouse at Alexandria
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon
The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus

And, no I didn't have to look them up, but I did spell all the words that aren't "at" or "the" in the last one wrong and had to look up the spelling. Blogger didn't have Halicarnassus loaded into its database. Go figure.

I don't know why I committed these to memory as a child. I just did. It's probably the same reason I am often asked about random stuff I should know nothing about and sometimes know anyway.

When I met Honey, the seven wonders came up and she referred to them (jokingly) as the seven natural, material, wonders of the ancient and modern world (or something like that). I've always thought she was more bemused then anything that I knew them. It certainly wasn't high on my "let's be Honies" point total. Like, "ok, she gets +500 points for knowing all seven wonders, but -800 for having a nightmare destructive dog."

The list is very old and appears partially in a book published by Antipar of Sidon which dates to 130 B.C.E. He didn't come up with the list, as there are references to it appearing in older texts. Only the oldest sturcture on the list still stands. The pyramids are older by 2000+ years than the others. GO pyramids!

The Artemis Temple, Hanging Gardens, and Colossus were destroyed before the Common Era began. The Mausoleum survived into the 15th century as did the lighthouse. The Zeus probably made it to the 5th century in the common era.

None of this really matters. It won't get you the girl. The good news is; it won't keep you from getting her either.

My grandmother has been gone (that's a Southern expression meaning dead) for a while now. But I still remember, as if it were yesterday, her helping me find each of the ancient places in her atlas. We planned our trip and talked about all the marvelous things we'd see. So, I think I'll keep remembering them. Someday I may see some of the places they stood. If I do, I will be glad I learned them all and still remember.

6 comments:

Suzanne said...

Wendy and I have never discussed the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. Pyramids, however, fascinate me.

Nice memory of your grandmother. :)

KMae said...

I just love eb & Emerald Pillows! She also has an interesting entry (about 4 back) about athiesm,God & the lack thereof... great conversations on that one! It's under "Yo G!"

And my Doris would love the pyramids.

Teresa said...

I remember your reciting the wonders to me, but not what's wonderful about them: the sweet memories they stir up about the plans you made with your grandmother to visit all the sites. That would have helped your point total considerably.

SassyFemme said...

We've talked about wanting to see the Pyramids one day, but it's low on our our "must see" list. How great that your grandmother helped nurture this interest with you!

Anonymous said...

I think The Colossus at Rhodes sounds like the coolest of all. When I was a kid I thought it still existed and planned on somday seeing it. I was really bummed when someone told me it was long gone.

Looks like Scout might have fallen in love with you 15 minutes earlier had you told her the sweet grandmother story.

WenWhit said...

Part of the reason I've not had such a discussion with the missus is I don't know a damned thing about the Wonders. I DID see part of a special on The Lighthouse last night while trying to fall asleep. It was interesting. Not enough to make me memorize "The Seven", but interesting.

Of course, I mourn for the 8th Wonder of the World, the Houston Astrodome.