Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Union? Maybe.

I work in a place where every employee is represented by a union. There are lots of them. In my office alone, there are employees in three bargaining units. I'm the only one in mine. And I'm not actually in it. The "represent" my interests theoretically and I pay a fee for that, but it's less than I would pay if I was a member (card carrying or not). I still get mailings and the like.

At the risk of giving away where I work...

This union is threatening a strike. I was at a meeting yesterday where a colleague noted that "most of us are from union families." He meant an us I was part of. And yet I am not. My family is not a union family. On the contrary, I come from a very non-union family. Not only are most of my relatives white collar folks, I also come from the Southeast, one of the least unionized parts of the United States. I don't know of a single close relative (living or dead) who was a member of a union. My grandfather was a chamber of commerce executive who favored what he called "total community development." I can assure you that t.c.d did NOT include unions.

When I was in graduate school, the teaching and research assistants (of which I was usually one or the other in any given year) tried to unionize. There were strikes and lots of talk. It worked eventually (well after I had finished my PhD) and they're now unionized. I never participated. A lot of the rhetoric wasn't about working conditions or the like, but about the need for the University to "recognize" us. Since I was in a marginal field in a program that was literally falling apart, the need for recognition seemed less urgent than whether I'd ever find a permanent job (that took eight years) in the field (nope) or whether the program would survive long enough for me to get a degree (yes). Union stuff? Not really my thing.

Now, don't get me wrong, I can teach about unions, Marx, Engels, and the like. I understand it intellectually. It's fun to teach about it. One of my favorite documentary films is about the struggle of Pullman Porters to unionize against the racism of mid-twentieth century American. Watch it sometime. It's called Miles of Smiles, Years of Struggle.

But when it comes to me, things get muddy. This weekend I had brunch (yummy) with treecup who works at a different branch in the same system as me. We are, in other words, both represented by the union. She asked rather nonchalantly whether I was going to "walk out" if there is a strike. Without thinking much, I said "no" and asked if she would and she said "yes."

I've been thinking a lot about it since brunch. (That is, when I'm not trying to teach Scout (the dog) to pee outside. Scout (the Honey) knows where to pee.) My job has me operating independently most of the time. There are no "comps" to me, unlike most folks, who are in departments with other faculty. I am totally flummoxed about how to feel and what to do. So, I thought I'd blog.

There's a vote about the strike. I can't vote unless I join the union.

"We'll all be colleagues after it's over," our uni president has said. My dean reiterated those sentiments.

What I feel is mostly ambivalence. Should I join the union and vote no? Should I join and vote yes? Should I not join and come to work? Should I not join and not come?

I'm not asking anyone to tell me what to do. I am interested, however, in where others stand on unions. So share out in comments!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd strike if I thought it was important and 'the man' was really screwing everyone. But in your case, I'd just go to work, especially if I wasn't really being represented. Besides, the whole 'we'll all be colleagues is bullshit.

SassyFemme said...

I'm part of a union and don't like it. Beyond the collective bargaining for salaries they nitpick every stupid little thing. It actually makes my job harder. Would I walk out if there was a strike even though I don't agree with them? Yes, but I wouldn't walk picket lines. I'd walk out and stay home. The only reason I'd do this is because I still have to work with them when it's over. There's bad blood between those who walk out and those who cross picket lines, whether it's white collar or blue collar. It doesn't magically disappear that first day, or week, or even month that everyone is back at work.

WenWhit said...

I'm afraid I don't have much to offer. I have very little experience with unions, none of it personal. (A number of my peeps with disabilities belong to the Giant Foods union LOL). My mother seems to think unions are evil. Of course, my mother is a devout Republican and Christian (hopefully not in that order) from a very small Southern town. What's my point? Oh yeah, I don't know what you should do.

But let us know when you figure it out!

Unknown said...

I guess I'm doing it for reasons that may or may not be valid and I haven't really reflected on them in any truly rational way. The upshot for me is that I feel that I'm underpaid and that I've gotten only grudging raises in the time I've been here while they've given the president, who has been here a shorter time than me, huge raises (whether you figure it out by percentages or straight dollars). And what they're offering me without a strike still isn't enough for me to feel all warm and fuzzy about them. Is that reason enough to strike? Probably not in the most rational sense, but rationality has never been my forte. Still, I support you sister in whatever you decide (said in the most unionist lingo I can muster :)

Teresa said...

I grew up in a blue-collar union family who wouldn't cross picket lines of any sort. My parents would sometimes bitch about the inconvenience this caused them, but cross the line they would not. My dad once went on a strike that lasted so long we went on food stamps for a brief period, which mortified my mother and caused her to drive to far-flung grocery stores so as not to be seen spending said stamps by friends. And for the record, gov'ment cheese is not a tasty product, friends.

At any rate, union values were drummed into me during my formative years, like my deep love for Donna Fargo, and I don't believe I could ever cross a picket line, whether to work or shop. Doing so would cause me to be haunted by a looped image of Sally Field in Norma Rae holding up that damn sign.

All that being said, I do think some unions have perhaps outlived their usefulness, especially when they seem to be advocating against your best interests, as I believe is happening to you right now. I don't know what I would do in your position, but I do know that I wouldn't judge you for your decision either way. How's that for equivocation?

KMae said...

I'm in a union, I have picketed & I would never cross a picketline. I have seen what happens to those who do cross... it is bad & will follow one around from job to job.

After 9/11 our union pulled a fast one on us by going with the company with huge paycuts for all of us & we lost all our rights we'd worked on building for years. It's horrible. I joined a group to sue the union. I dont think we are going to win.

Good luck.

KMae said...

I guess I should add that I think unions are important. They can really make a difference & save your ass at times. The problem is the representation we put in the union leadership. And also, if you join it would be good if you get involved even if it is just carrying on a email campaign to rally for your beliefs.