Search This Blog

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Wrong school, wrong sport, go team!

I went to a college without good sports teams. They sucked. Plus, there was a whole red, white, and blue unfortunate color deal. I liked my college a lot as a college. As an undergradutae sports experience, it blew big chunks of yuck. It's just true. The year BEFORE I arrived they went to their one and only national championship game ever in ANY sport and lost.

I was unused to sports failure. My high school was routinely competitive at the state level in basketball. Won championships competitive. We were bad in everything else, but who cares? Excellence of that level doesn't ask for companionship. Ask any Duke fan. Any USC fan. Any Lady Vols fan. Do they stay up at night wishing their school could be exemplary in just ONE MORE thing? No, they're pretty happy liking real excellence in the one thing. It's hard to say Duke basketball exhibited that this year, or indeed that SUC football (oh wait, sorry, USC) did, but that's another matter.

Basketball, despite my high school's achievements, wasn't my favorite sport. I always preferred baseball. And football. Well, and tennis. Still, I do like basketball.

The team that beat my college's one and only championship effort? UCLA.

When I decided to go to graduate school in completely-random-field(tm), I only had a few choices. That's because it's a, well, completely-random-field(tm). One of the choices was UCLA. And, when it came right down to it, it was the only choice. Oh sure, I could talk about the weather and the beach as big factors. The real reason I moved out to the coast? Money. UCLA offered me some to go to school. No one else did.

When you go to graduate school, especially in completely-random-field(tm) (read: esoteric), you're supposed to study, argue, write, think, drink, and argue some more. I did all of those things. I also watched UCLA sports. You're not supposed to do that. Sports are an undergraduate thing.

But there I was a T.A. With UCLA football players in my classes. UCLA football players who were playing in the Rose Bowl. And in 1995, there was a national championship in basketball. Not state. Not high school. First time since John Wooden big-ol-dealio. I recognize the problems. Jim Harrick was not a great guy. The UCLA football players stole handicapped parking passes. There's a lot of money in it. The basketball coach might ought not to be the highest paid person at a university. I get it why it's not so good always.

Still.

Then, there's the whole USC thing. The place I teach now is lousy with folks who went to UCLA and with folks who went to USC. It's kinda fun. It was really fun this year when UCLA beat USC in football. I may have talked a little smack. Just a little.

I like wearing the UCLA blue and gold at commencement.



Look everybody, it's Tommy Trojan and Joe Bruin!

That's actually Joe Bruin's old head. A few years ago, somebody stole Josie Bruin's head. She matched and they didn't want a rogue Josie Bruin. So he has a new head now. Wouldn't that be nice? If you get tired of your head, just get a new one. And people still know who you are!

I'm proud to have gone to UCLA and like my complicated UCLA PhD diploma.

The truth is (glance around to see if anyone is actually listening), I'm also a fan.

It's nice to be a fan sometimes.

Bottom line, I guess, here on the verge of the Final Four in my home town with my adopted graduate level (can you even call it this?) alma mater playing...

Go Bruins!

I hope all your teams give you happiness, too. Unless they're Florida, Georgetown, or Ohio State this weekend. Or USC ever. I could go on, but won't. Let's stay positive.

U C L A

:)

9 comments:

Middle Girl said...

i have no particular loyalty to any of the final four schools...but i'll root for a bruin over a hoya, gator or a buck-eye... sure!
go...UCLA.

Suzanne said...

Bah!
Go Hoyas!

sporksforall said...

Hoyas?

Yucko.

Alma Mater #1 was in D.C. and decidedly no G'town. We had a hate/jealousy thing.

Now they might play the "Bwuins."

So Hoyas=double yucko.

Teresa said...

Also, did you tell people you met the love of your life at UCLA? Hmm? Did you? And she didn't even leave you when she found out you were positively guylike in your love of sports, all shouting at the TV and such.

Suzanne said...

I consider shouting at the TV during sports an endearing quality in a spouse.

Suzanne said...

Oh, and Go Hoyas! :)

WenWhit said...

UCLA made it to the Final Four. Be proud of that. It's a major accomplishment.

Too bad they don't have a snowball's chance of winning the title. :P

We Are... Georgetown!

SheA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SheA said...

ok, lemme try this-Again. I had an OoOps moment in my color scheme. I am throwing my hat into the ring and showing some G8R love. Billy Ball is alive and well and hopefully charged up enough for a repeat. Go G8R's!!!