Search This Blog

Friday, April 27, 2007

Bikes are pretty

I'm not a very good cyclist. I'm also not a good photographer.

But, and this will come as a shock to regular readers, I have a highly developed bicycle aesthetic. Honey and I are back from our annual pilgrimage to the Tour de Georgia. Despite the whole lesbian thing, I think biker boy legs are sexy. And bikes are sexy (which defies sexual categories).

Herewith a few pictures I snapped of the pretty of it all. Oh and feel free to click on the pictures. That way you can see my bad photography REALLY big.

Thusly, the things enjoyed, though not excelled in, become one for a moment.


Janez Brajkovic, the eventual winner:



Ok, you've got to admit, this is a pretty leg. It's Brajkovic's.



David Canada, ultimately 3rd in the race. He was leading at the start of this stage.



Christian Vandevelde. He finished second, and like all American riders taking off from the Chickamauga stage was sent off with a blast from a rifle fired by a group of Confederate reenactors. I didn't take a picture of them.




My bike is also pretty. So, here are some pictures of it. I wouldn't want it to get jealous...






How fast do I ride? Here's my sense enacted in bar plugs.



My snail and I are happy to go, slow, though. That way people can see how pretty the bike is a little better.

7 comments:

WenWhit said...

I thought the photography quite nice.

Bikes defy sexual categories? So your pretty little thing doesn't have a name? Or did you carefully pick an ambiguous name, like Pat or Chris?

alice, uptown said...

Didn't the War of Northern Aggression (as my mom was taught in 1950s Raleigh, NC, with a bit of a haze over who won the war) end in, say 1865? Did someone forget to send a memo to the Confereracy? In some circles, I've heard it's the 21st century. :)

sporksforall said...

Wen--I tend to refer to my bike as "the Lemond." It probably does need a name, but its identity is tied up with a guy. Hmm.

Alice--Ah, the Confederate thing. Well, the race stage in question did start in Chickamauga, the site of one of the more important battles in the Western theater during the Civil War. That still doesn't explain why grown men would want to dress up and play pretend with guns. At least this year, they only fired the damn things for the American riders. Last year they fired them for EVERY rider. Loudness to no end is simply loud.

Middle Girl said...

My bike, not nearly as pretty or sexy, is just as loved.

Agreed, very nice pics.

weese said...

i never thought of bikes as sexy.
hmm.

Suzanne said...

Flowers are pretty, too.

Val said...

Nice pics AND you do have a very nice looking bike! That seat sure is pretty high up... I'm jes sayin'.