Search This Blog

Monday, April 02, 2007

Spring's kind of fragile



It's spring break here at the fine institution of higher education. Since I am a twelve month employee, I'm here. That and my assistant director gave almost everyone the week off. Somebody's got to be here in case the provost calls. He never does, but I worry that he might.

I'm going to try to get caught up on my backlog of big projects. I lack motivation for most of them, which is why they're un or half done. I'm going to try to do a little every day on most of them. Small bites are easier to swallow.

Spring is here. I know this because UCLA lost again in some ignominy and baseball started.

Fantasy baseball drafts happened over the weekend. I didn't end up with many distasteful Yankees in the American League only Blogleague. Jorge Posada seems like a good guy, despite his lifelong Yankee status and I can still picture Johnny Damon as a Royal if I squint. Plus, I got some Angel pitchers.

In my money league (which is NL-only), I drafted better this year than I did last year. I had a little money to spare and targeted players I wanted without overpaying. As of right this moment, I'm in second place after one game. Shawn Green, bless his heart, went 2 for 4 last night in the Mets win over the Cards. That was my only stat from the night, but it was a good one. Let's just call the season done, shall we?

I tried to get Chris Carpenter and didn't succeed. While I don't think his ERA will stay at 7.5, I take a little guilty pleasure in his bad outing last night.

Plus, Tom Glavine, who I still like from his Braves days, got one win closer to 300. He needs 9 more to get to 300 and will be only the fifth lefty to get there. My favorite game of his doesn't even count in that total. It was his 1-0 masterpiece over the Indians in Game 6 of the 1995 World Series. Glavine is not on my fantasy team, and he's now a Metropolitan, but I hope he does well this year. The big numbers (like 300) can still matter.

Baseball, as Bart Giamatti famously said, is designed to break your heart. It will break my heart this year when Bonds passes Aaron. That number will not matter to me. Hank Aaron will be the Home Run king in my mind until a clean player passes him. It will also break my heart when the Angels and Braves, once again, fail to match up in the World Series. I trust that Bill Hall and Barry Zito will do their respective parts to break my heart a little, too. My fantasy players don't care enough about me

For now, though, fragile Spring holds promise. And pollen. Maybe that's why it's so fragile. All that pollen could make things brittle.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

I remember reading (SI maybe?) a prediction for the Angels and the Giants to meet in the next World Series. You'd be happy with the Angels and the Series would be almost in your backyard!

SheA said...

I'll be going to tomorrow's Brewer's game against the Dodgers. BILL ( clap clap clap ) HALL ( clap clap clap ) is on my Fantasy team on my money team as well. I'll be hoping for some strong numbers from him, but I will have a box of Kleenex by my side in case he is up to his usual tricks...... and GO Gators......Whooo Hoooo!!