Search This Blog

Monday, April 10, 2006

Don't break spring

It's spring break at my IHE. We always have spring break Easter week despite our heathen governmental status. I'm at work anyway, which is fine. I may take a day off this week, though I have three off next week to go to Atlanta and North Georgia. We're going to see the Tour de Georgia bike race and my parents. My therapist winced when I said I was going. I'm sure she wasn't wincing about the bike race.

I do get to go to south LA county on Friday for a conference. Woo.

On Saturday Honey and I had gotten home from the g-store and had been talking about "filling the green" by which we mean doing as much lawn/yard work as the city says we should because our green "yard waste" trash can has that capacity. I promised to fill the green by mowing, though I was in a semi-bad mood and didn't want to do it as soon as we got home. While we were unloading the car, a guy approached Honey and asked if he could mow the yard. She resisted at first and then thought she should check with me. I felt incredibly guilty about the whole thing but agreed. The yards look fantastic. Honey pointed out that the guy didn't want my liberal guilt to take over and say, "no I can do it." He needed the money. I had it. Still, I spent most of the day in the office so I didn't have to watch him knock himself out for the pittance we were going to pay him.

I'm delighted he did it. We were on the verge of no return in the back yard. The meadow quality of the thing was going to require more equipment and wherewithal than I have.

Now, everything is mowed and tidy and blown and trimmed. And Biscuit's stomach no longer exudes water from leaping through the tall grass. I had a basenji once who liked to leap through tall grass. I told Honey that she was remembering her African past. Honey pointed out that she was a puppy-mill basenji from the Midwest and had never been to Africa. Biscuit likes tall grass too and makes grunting noises when she runs. Her spaniel/retriever fur is harder to get dry and clean than the basenji's teeny little hairs. I'm getting her stripped next weekend.

Campus is pretty empty and I could use the freeway to get to school. I have a little sunburn and am glad spring is here. Just nobody break it, ok? We need it. Summer and winter don't get along and spring needs to come between them.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I have spring break envy (ours is long over) and would bound through long grass getting my belly wet if I could.

Teresa said...

Ooh, I like the idea of spring as the peacemaker season. It does seem that winter and summer feud during these months, with cold wind and rain one day and toasty sunshine the next. It's the one time of year that L.A. weather seems unpredictable. S'posed to rain this weekend, but the weather folks have lately been all talk and no storm with their incessant weather hype.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sporksforall said...

Yo, don't spam the blog.

sporksforall said...

By spam I mean=advertisements for mystery shoppers. Not people's comments about, um, the blog.