Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Etc.

Honey has had her driving privileges pulled again. See her blog for more details. She's going today to have her EEG done again. I gave her a scarf to wear. We had scarf night last night and I draped all the scarves I could find over my head. In ways that scarves aren't supposed to go. My mother likes to give me scarves. It makes her feel as if I may one day become the daughter she wanted. I don't wear them. I put them in a drawer with my socks.

I made my mother very happy when I had along talk with her about various ablutions for the skin. I think she showed me every skin product she had ever purchased. And my mother (like her daughter) is a consumer.

Honey, in fact, pointed out that I should tell my therapist about my tendency to buy things. My therapist suggested that I buy two workbooks some time ago. I promptly bought them. I can't bring myself to "work" them. Last time we talked about it, my therapist said I should just read them, that I didn't have to have pen or pencil in hand. Follow through can be a weakness for me. But, boy, do I know how to use and abuse Amazon.

Anyway, back to driving... Driving in L.A. isn't fun generally. It's a built in excuse for lateness. "Traffic" followed by a head shake will get you out of most lateness problems. Still, I want to stop driving so much. I'd love to commute by bike, but I'm a person who sweats. Southern women aren't supposed to sweat. They're supposed to "glow." I sweat. So riding a bike to work might be unpleasant in the global warmed SoCal summer.

Speaking of global warming, I heard a piece on NPR yesterday about the rising CO2 levels causing poison ivy to grow more and become more toxic. Tomorrow it's supposed to by in the 90s and I have to wear my academic regalia for commencement.

Treecup wore anti-perspirant on her face when we got our PhDs.

When I had my prom, my mother handed me a bottle of baby powder and told me to "use it." When I asked her where to put it, she wouldn't answer. The answer tomorrow may be all over. Nobody look under my robe, ok?

3 comments:

Slangred said...

On her face? Wow. I never thought of that. If I had thought of that, it might have solved my own sweaty-face issues at various times in my life.
I haven't commented on your blog posts in a while. Traffic.
I have been reading and enjoying them, though.

Teresa said...

Wow, is there poison ivy growing inside your regalia? If you tell someone, maybe they'll let you wear culottes instead.

Unknown said...

In my own defense, I would like to say it worked like gangbusters!