Search This Blog

Monday, May 22, 2006

In, done, gone

I turned my application in for the job I currently have. Interim. Like life isn't just one interim after another. Anyway, it's done, gone, turned in. Honey helped with it yesterday. Honey is a copy editor. I gave her my c.v. (curriculum vita--an academic resume) and my cover letter. She found SO many errors in my c.v. that I got upset. I'd been showing the thing around for years. She tried to reassure me that the errors were small enough that only copy editors would notice. Covered with red, the pages, covered.

She had fewer corrections to the cover letter, which seemed good. She laughed out loud at the letter where I said something like, "I hope to speak with you soon about this position." Are cover letters ever funny on purpose?

Anyway, I turned it in. The Dean's secretary, who is wacky, asked me if she had to send me a letter of acknowledgement. I said yes and she asked if she could scribble all over the acknowledgement. I told her that would be fine.

The Dean wants the search done by the end of June.

Some quick sporky job numbers:

Number of years I've worked at this IHE: 8
Number of years service credit (at most) I'll get toward tenure: 2
Number of years before between when I got my PhD and when my brother will get his: 7 and counting
Number of tenure track jobs between us: 1 (that would be his)
Number of days before I find out: 39 minimum



To paraphrase Michael Stipe:

That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight, losing my...

I'll just be over here. Waiting.

3 comments:

Teresa said...

Trust me when I say that sane people will not comb your c.v. for punctuation consistency. That's a task only a copy editor can love.

bryduck said...

Waiting blows. On the other hand, "They only serve who stand and wait." On the third hand, bartending blows too; waiters make far more money, at least in the places I've worked. And they have a smaller skill set, I'd argue. (Sorry, Scout, no offense intended!)
Surrealist speak done.

WenWhit said...

Not so, Scout. Because writing is such a significant part of what my staff do (the mantra in the field is "if you didn't write it down, it didn't happen"), I WILL NOT schedule an interview if the C.V. is grammatically deficient. In fact, the worst offenders get passed around the office for humor value.

Having said that, Sporks... Don't worry about it. I'm sure you're safe if Scout the Copy Editing Honey reviewed it. :)

Luck to you.