Search This Blog

Friday, November 03, 2006

Friday randomness

According to my goofy gynecologist, I have "uncontested estrogen." That is not something you want apparently. That stuff needs competition or you're in trouble. I don't know who to send in to contest it. Any ideas?

The surly guy at my local bike shop is really nice under the surly. Bike fix in five minutes! A good local bike shop is good.

Some hangnails are harder to "fix" than others.

Our office first aid kit has teeny weeny and massively large bandages. Why?

I broke my watch band. The repair was handled terrifically. If you're looking for a sporty watch from a cool L.A. company, check out Reactor. They're chunky watches. But I like me a chunky watch.

Oh and this business of teens and twenty-something not wanting to wear watches because cell phones tell time is a cultural shift I don't like. Watches say a lot about a person.

I was at a meeting this week, in fact, and noticed that a guy had a woman's Timex on his right wrist. It gave me an alternate contemplation source than the meeting. I made up several stories, most of them sweet, about why he had on a woman's watch.

I remembered, too, my boss from my first full-time job, wore a very similar Timex. She died a couple of years ago (at a young age) of breast cancer. I miss her. And I like that his watch reminded me of her.

There is, seemingly, a worldwide shortage of Kashi GoLean Crunch. Honey and I are in mourning. Honey may begin to panic.

I'm sorry Tower Records is going out of business. But...the markdowns need to happen more quickly.

It reminds me a little of when the local woman's bookstore went out of business in L.A. I went to get some books and commented on how sorry I was it was happening. The woman behind the counter looked at me over her glasses, "you don't have to take the discount, you know." I did, though. I'm sorry it closed, but a bargain is a bargain.

Lost is going away after Wednesday. I heart me some Lost.

The show has been made all the better this season by Elizabeth Mitchell. I really heart me some Elizabeth Mitchell.

Getting apples from an orchard makes for an exponentially better apple experience than anything else.

Don't believe all of what you hear (like, "there are no apples this year."). That may mean there are five kinds to choose from instead of 12. Drive on up to the orchard to see.

It's nice to have a copy-editor Honey to whom you can ask questions like, "can you tell me the rule for spelling out numbers?"

Her answer:

"It's more a style thing, mostly in journalism, so it isn't ever incorrect to spell out numbers or make them cardinal. But yes, we spell out one through nine and style 10 and up as cardinals, but there are exceptions. Like, when we're stating ages of people and dates and the like, numbers are always cardinal, though when we're stating ages of things, the primary rule applies. Fiction follows different rules. There, numbers are almost always spelled out unless they refer to dates, monetary amounts, etc. Is that a suitably convoluted answer to what should have been a simple question?"

I do so love that woman. Isn't that fantastic?

Happy weekend. Go ride your bike! Here's mine again. So purty.

3 comments:

Teresa said...

I think the obvious answer to your first question is, of course, testosterone. Wanna go on the T?

As for the deficiencies of your first-aid kit: because all the medium-size bandages have been used.

Yes, the demise of Tower makes me sad as well, since it seemed like music wonderland to me when I was growing up, but nostalgia doesn't pay the bills, does it? As for discounts, my friend Bry keeps saying jazz is going to 90% off any minute now (largely because he hates the genre and therefore thinks that's about what it's worth). All I have to say is, When jazz gets marked down to 90% off, I'd like some uninterrupted solo time in the section, with competing shoppers held back until I've thoroughly obsessed over and checked out with my final selections.

I enjoy having a copy editor in the household as well. Occasionally, ours even lives in my brain!

WenWhit said...

Excellent new look, Sporks... it's kinda like your version of Scout's hair, huh? :)

I enjoyed the randomness immensely.

weese said...

random can be pleasant.

i feel for your estrogen. perhaps therapy?