Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Insurance and religion

Yesterday I read Suburban Lesbian's latest post about religion and homosexuality. It got me to thinking. I've had a long and complicated relationship with religion as the daughter of a prominent woman minister. That my very straight brother followed her into the ministry makes things all the more complicated.

Last Easter I felt very guilty about not going to church though I had no actual interest in doing so. I worked out instead. My anxiety level went down after my workout. My therapist says that's a normal physiological reaction. So one lesson to take away from my blog today is that a workout can decrease your anxiety level. I should never stop working out given my general level of anxiety.

My mother worries about my not finding a church home. My brother stopped asking. I know many people who struggle within organized religion about and around homosexuality. I am not sure I will want to do so again.

In a secular vein...

This morning, I was the model of efficiency. I went to the credit union affiliated with my university, applied for and received an auto loan at 1% below the one the dealer had offered me, got the check, drove it to the dealership (25 miles away in L.A. traffic), and was at my desk before noon. I then called my insurance agent to delete the old car and add the new.

My insurance agent called me back and in a very matter-of-fact way inquired whether Honey and I were domestic partners and registered thusly with the state. I allowed as how we were. She announced brightly that our insurance company offered married policies to registered domestic partners and that we could get deeper discounts on our auto and homeowners' policies. "No exclusions!" she announced brightly.

We're in trouble, I think, when insurance companies are more forward thinking than religious and political institutions. Of course, in our capitalistic environment, industry often leads the way in social change. And saving money? Who's opposed to that? Not me. I wonder, though, about feeling more validated in my relationship when buying a car than I do in thinking about issues of faith and religion. It shouldn't take a leap of faith for me to want my minister and fellow congregants to have more trust in who I love and share my life with than my insurance agent does.

6 comments:

Slangred said...

I read Suburban Lesbian's post as well. I was surprised and mightily heartened to see a Baptist minister opine as that Oliver Thomas does. It's sad that many (most, in my opinion) of those who call themselves Christ-ians aren't at all Christ-like in their harsh judgments, narrow mindedness, power- and money-grubbing and hypocrisy. In their sheer ignorance. If that guy they worship in the New Testament showed up today and said/did all the things he did 2000 years ago, they'd call him a far-left liberal and smear his a$$ without a second thought. Get him trumped up on charges and crucify him all over again.

That fear? hatred? anger? ignorance? is just fucked up.

But congrats on "enlightened" insurance agents...who's your carrier?

WenWhit said...

Have I ever mentioned I don't envy you your family dynamics? ;p

Efficiency rocks. Affirmation, my friend. I also happen to be a big fan of credit unions.

I am surprised about, and envious of, the insurance discount eligibility. Yay, Left Coast.

Damn. For the second time in one evening, I have to agree with EB. the insurance company no doubt ran the numbers and discovered that the balance of risk and reward made such coverage practical. I'd like to think the carrier was being forward-thinking but... I skeptically suspect there is an underlying financial justification. Regardless, validation is good. Maybe one day it will be commonplace, rather than a noteworthy offer from an insurance company.

Yeah, I'm babbling. Nice post.

Anonymous said...

We are on a 'family' policy with our insurance as well. Cars, home and ... well Ferris. (its a rather expensive policy)
But at least we are recognized as a family.

When my wife called today to add our new vehicle, our agent (we use a private agent) said simply 'big mistake'.
she was referring to some silly statistic about 18 year olds flipping Jeeps.
I just chuckled.
Our amazing son flipped his honda, I am quite certain he could flip a Jeep with the best of them.
of course. he will NEVER drive the jeep.

Suzanne said...

Excellent post, Sporks, with observations right from the heart.

I don't even care if it's all about the dollar with the insurance company. It is still meaningful. As is your ability to register as a domestic partnership.

I'm curious like slangred... who is your carrier?

sporksforall said...

Mercury is our carrier. I've been pretty pleased with them on other fronts, including two repairs for not-at-fault accidents (both minor).

If money is the real religion, I want to send mine to the right places.

Teresa said...

What impresses me about this is that the insurance company in question already has our business. They insure our home and both of our cars, so the offer of a discount was simply a nice surprise.

As for corporate America being light years ahead of governmental and religious institutions, one only need check out the Human Rights Campaign's annual Corporate Equality Index, rating all the Fortune 500 companies on a scale that awards points for nondiscrimination policies and domestic-partner benefits and such. A growing and rather surprising number of companies are earning perfect 100 scores. We may be icky, but we're hard workers and our money spends just fine.