Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

On shoes and morality

Recently, Honey found a pair of shoes after which she lusted. I, too, found them appealing. In anticipation of our upcoming trip to cold climates, I ordered them for her birthday (for her) and just because (for me). We got them. We tried them on. We loved them. In fact, my Croc wearing has significantly decreased since they arrived. They are magnificent.

I got an e-mail from the retailer thanking me for my return of the shoes. The shoes I am wearing right now. Odd, I thought. I figured there was a mix-up. Then I got a credit for the shoes to my card. Both pair.

Thusly...a moral dilemma. Should I:

1) Tell the retailer?

2) Not tell the retailer?

Honey and I discussed. I should say that the retailer is large and charges what honey would call "full-pop retail" for the shoes. In fact, they charge $10 more than the website of the company that made the shoes. I use the retailer occasionally because they have a huge selection and don't charge for shipping.

Meantime, I grew more fond of the shoes. So did Honey.

In finally decided I could live with the following scenario...

Don't tell them, but order another two pair of shoes from them. Then, it's like Honey and I got our very own two-for-one sale. Honey even picked out MORE expensive shoes for the second go-around.

If you feel moved to comment, tell me what you would have done.

Oh, and here are the shoes in question:



____
We got no trick-or-treaters last night. Honey thinks it's because our neighbors think we're witches. Or lesbians. Whatever.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I would like some of those shoes...I did the cheap-out Skechers from Academy and regret my purchases just a little bit.

Them are nice. What are they?

S

Teresa said...

Only the best, most comfortable shoes ever! Timberland shoes with Smart Wool lining, a marriage made in heaven. It's like wearing slippers to work, only with arch support! God, I've become a commercial.

Unknown said...

They do look like awesome shoes!!!

We got hardly any trick or treaters either....I said it was cuz the neighbours wouldn't bring their kids here.....cuz the dykes and the crazy old lady (my MIL) live there!! LOL we do live in a bit of a "stuffy" neighbourhood.....actually it's very split....lotsa seniors....and then some new young yuppie families....the seniors are kinda the stuffy ones.

SassyFemme said...

Those shoes look like they're really warm!

WenWhit said...

Excellent compromise to your dilemma, Sporks. Proof positive of your enhanced, well-educated critical thinking skills. ;p

Suzanne said...

Color me crazy, but I'd have to inform the retailer of their mistake. Not to do so would spoil the joy of wearing said newly discovered wonderous footwear.

Plus, what goes around comes around. How can you be sure what part of the cycle this event fills?

I'm pretty sure Honey's birthday hasn't yet occurred. How come she gets to have presents early?! Lucky scout. :)

weese said...

shhhh

alice, uptown said...

I think you pulled the "bank error in your favor" card on the shoes. It may catch up with you, but it's certainly not your fault if the store can't handle its own finances. Still, the bill may wend its way to you eventually. Or not.

I would have to say that in my case, what comes around goes around: when I went to Africa with a friend, we didn't get a bill we were expecting for some of our plane flights. The following year, we were pickpocketed and relieved of all our our cash on the train from Prague to Budapest. We figured that we broke even, when all was said and done.