Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Wandering in the office wilderness

While my recent office troubles do not match my Honey's, I have nevertheless been in a state of flux in my day-to-day environs. Over the past two years, I have let everyone in the office order new office furniture. I demurred because until this summer, I was in my current position as an interim. I thought it would look untoward to order furniture until such time as I got the job forever and ever. And thus it came to pass that I did. One morning early this fall, I went up to the furniture store which must exist solely on the revenue it generates from my institution. They saw me coming.

I fretted, measured, and ordered. I chose modern looking furniture with "white aluminum legs" and speckled gray tops. No need to pretend something is wood. Speckled gray pretends to be nothing but what it is--speckled gray.

Twice a month the physical plant people will remove furniture for free. Office Manager was worried that there might be some overlap between the old furniture and the new. So, a month ago they took away my old desk and chair. I hated them both. Buh Bye.



Once they were gone, my office seemed empty. Ok, let's be honest, my office was empty.

I should note that one more "free take away" day happened between the take away and the arrival of the new furniture. I refrained from pointing this out to OM. I screamed it internally some and said it to other people, but didn't say anything to her. Instead I would occasionally say things like, "can you tell me the status on the furniture?" See how brave and restrained I am?



A month and no desk? Wherever did I go? Well, I have a small conference table in my office and I set my computer up in the corner. It seemed pitiful. It was pitiful. I climbed over boxes of desk stuff to get to the corner. My gynormous monitor is wider than the table on which it sat.



Monday, my new desk and chair finally arrived. I immediately set up my computer and unloaded every box. I am a happy office dweller.



Instead of drawers, I got rolling half file cabinets with padded tops. Occasional office seating for all!



Admittedly late afternoon is not a great time for taking pictures out bright windows.

My new bag looks good in context.

Herewith some details.


My picture of Red, my sweetgrass basket with sequoia cones, and my Sequoia National Park Nalgene bottle.


Biscuit has her picture on the desk, too.


My bendy squishy avocado guy, the gel-e star I ordered to promote my program, my teeny Zen Garden and the pot that used to hold my bamboo. Also, emollient. Gotta emmolliate.


The devil ducks really want to See Rock City but never have. The chiflera is dying, but I'm efforting keeping it alive.

Obviously, there's more in my office, but better to show too little than too much. I happy to be out of the corner and firmly ensconced in my new gray and white aluminum world.

3 comments:

Teresa said...

That's a mighty attractive setup, sweetums. So where's my pic, huh? Apparently the dogs rate, dead or alive. Shall I choose a nice pic of myself and frame it for you, or would that be too presumptuous?

sporksforall said...

Your picture is next to Biscuit's sweeties. It's just not clear in that detail...

WenWhit said...

I am SO glad your furniture has arrived. Truly. The alternate arrangement sounded (and as it turns out, looked) like HELL. Good for you.