Search This Blog

Friday, February 02, 2007

Reptile brains

This week I had a flat tire on the freeway. My tough little truck has BIG tires. Honey and I and a nice passerby guy who had just moved to L.A. (natch--no "real" Angelino would stop) changed the tire. No single one of us could lift the damn thing. When I went to get a replacement (gash in the sidewall), I found out that tires are $210 EACH. They say you buy cars with your reptile brain. I want. Truck pretty.

Don't get me wrong, I like my truck, but it seemed less than smart when I can't change the tire by myself and the replacement costs that much.

The other day I was washing out Biscuit's water bowl. She had fresh water. She walked over to the mud puddle I created washing the bowl out and started to drink. I called her to the clean water. She sniffed and lapped at it for a second. Then she went back to the puddle. Water. Mud. Drink.

I'm about to go off to a meeting where I have to faciliate a high-end discussion. My boss's boss asked me to do it. Hope I can get to higher order thinking. Given the way things have been going, I'd take the under.

9 comments:

weese said...

might i suggest something a little more environmentally sound.
do any of us really need a vehicle which rolls around on 200 tires that we can't even lift?

Mystic said...

Omg those are some expensive tires!

Ahh Im so happy this week is almost over! :)

Middle Girl said...

The exact arguments I use when daughter constantly brings up wanting a *truck* She can't afford the neon she has now-so the conversations are moot, yet the rituals must be observed.

Hope the meeting went well.

SassyFemme said...

Perhaps a membership to AAA might be in order?

poet said...

truck pretty, must have. great post. hope things when well at the meeting. enjoy the weekend, poet.

Suzanne said...

Uh.... how'd your practically brand new tire get a gash in the sidewall?

WenWhit said...

Ah, but that was then and this is now. Surely such events seem more managable in the gentle glow of retrospect? Well, I sure hope they are.

Of course, *I* could've lifted the tire. ;P

sporksforall said...

Weese--Kinda just bought the thing. It's tires are mine for a while. :)

TOD: Help your daughter be less spork-like!

Sassy: Hmm. AAA? Doesn't that undermine my lesbian cred?

Words: LA freeways can gash anything. New, old, or otherwise.


Wen: You could totally lift them. SO when are you going to move out here to be my tire wrangler?

Teresa said...

Reptiles the world over should be really super offended that the term reptile brain has become so prominent in our lexicon to describe any behavior that defies logic. Do you see snakes buying trucks with very large tires they can't lift? Why, no. No, you do not.