Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Fun with science


Six months ago I was given my current job permanently. I had done it for two years prior. Guess I did an ok job. Anyway, the rules of the institution say that I get to play in the big pool now. Part of playing in the big pool is being on search committees for other jobs.

Academic job searches are tough and easy all at the same time. You send off some stuff. People read it. There may be a phone interview. The big thing is the campus visit. You get flown to the area, put up in a hotel and then spend a day on campus. There are tours. Lunches. Interviews with the relevant Dean. Teaching demos. The pre-dinner culmination (denouement?) of the day is the "research presentation" sometimes also called the job talk.

So, I'm on a committee. My program is doing a joint hire with one of our "friend" departments. The program I run is interdisciplinary which means I work with units from all over campus. Some are fun. Some are not. This one is fine. They like me and my program and I like them. It's one of those academic departments that has both social sciencey people and sciencey people. When we first talked about a joint position, I thought we'd do something social sciencey. For lots of complicated reasons, we're doing a sciencey hire instead.

I've now listened to two job talks and know more about areas of knowledge that I had never even contemplated at all before. A little knowledge can be dangerous. I could say something stupid at a gathering about which I really know nothing.

For example, here's something I learned...

Most marine invertebrates (or so I hear) do something called "broadcast spawning." That means that they shoot their eggs and sperm out into the water. The eggs and sperm mix out in the ocean and produce baby marine invertebrates, who never even know mom or dad invertebrate. I was going to say "see" mom and dad but I don't think they have eyes.

It's a fun, if exhausting process. I'm mostly glad to be on this side of it. But I'm also glad to be learning new things about science.

Go ahead, ask me about the seasons. Or fog. Later in the week, I get to learn about fire. I can hardly wait. Really.

8 comments:

Suzanne said...

I think I'd enjoy exposure to science more now than I did when I was. You're a fortunate woman.

Oh yeah. I am supposed to ask you about the seasons. So what can you tell me about seasons?

Teresa said...

Broadcast spawning isn't startlingly unlike what college students do on spring break. Are invertebrates fond of beer bongs, by any chance?

sporksforall said...

The seasons have nothing to do with how close the earth is to the sun or the tilt of the earth. They are caused by where the sun's rays hit the earth with the most force at any given time of the year. Currently they're hitting the Tropic of Capricorn most strongly which is why it's summer in the Southern Hemispehre.

Marine invertebrates are omnivores, so they're totally up for beer.

See how much I learned?

SassyFemme said...

Well, your days are probably never boring!

Middle Girl said...

What a fabulous opportunity to learn stuff all sciencey.

Will you tell about fire too?

WenWhit said...

Fire! I love fire. Tell me 'bout the fire, Sporks. Pleeease?

Unknown said...

I am on both sides: sometimes reviewing applications, and often sending them out. It is a sad statement!

alice, uptown said...

A job you like where you actually learn something? That's impressive. Fire is also a bonus -- never hurts to know at what temperature you (me) will actually incinerate food applied to heat.