Search This Blog

Friday, February 09, 2007

More fun with science, but less than before

So the scientists kept coming and I learned more stuff.

Do you know about Sun Dogs? They're false suns, usually directly west or east in the sky of the actual sun. They're caused by hexagonal ice in the atmosphere.



They're also pretty. The phenomenon is related to rainbows. I would like to suggest that we lesbian/gay types adopt sun dogs as our symbol of pride from now on.

I also learned that if you skydive from high enough up, you can't tell that you're falling because there's so little air above a certain point that there's no wind. I'm not going to try it. Good to know, though.

The fire talk didn't learn me much about fire, so I can't pass it on. One factoid I did learn is that even in really wet environments, things can catch fire. Wet things can catch fire. Who knew?

The fire talk was complicated and sophisticated and there were some pictures, but lots of it dealt with satellite image mapping and various coefficients for understanding maps. Ah well. My fog knowledge will serve me well. I don't know how, but I have it wield as needed.

7 comments:

Suzanne said...

Do you propose the sun dogs in addition to or instead of rainbows as symbols of pride?

sporksforall said...

Instead of. Let's move on to something new. It will keep us fresh.

WenWhit said...

The sundogs are way cool. And not just because of the name. ;p

SheA said...

cool idea, anything having to do with oth sun and dogs has my vote

SheA said...

..Um...I neglected to add a B to the word OTH...geeshhhhh

Teresa said...

Oh, I am so over the rainbow. Let's banish it forever in favor of sun dogs. We can donate the rainbow symbol to an anti-immigration group or some such; those folks are always claiming that their motivations are precisely opposite to what they really are anyway, so it'll suit their own weird self-image.

weese said...

I am so on board with the sun dog symbol. I really don't like rainbows at all. They are garrish. I so prefer nuetrals and earthtones.