Search This Blog

Monday, December 03, 2007

Avoiding the crevasse

I spend a lot of time pretending my body doesn't exist. Oh, sure, I know it does. I glance at on occasion. I can see parts of it as I type. As a whole, though, I'd just as soon let it travel through a slightly parallel universe. I especially hate having my attention drawn to it by forces external.

Most nights I sleep by myself in our Select Comfort bed. My honey sleeps next to me in a device that protects her very badly arthritic spinal column. The Select Comfort bed was not made for one...



The upper arrow pointing to what they're calling "support foam" is actually pointing to something I call "the crevasse" which is an indentation between the two air chambers. When I sleep alone in the bed, I roll into the crevasse. I stay in the crevasse. The crevasse was not meant for sleeping in. And yet, night after night, I hear its siren call and into it I roll.

Saturday night I must have ensconced myself into it fundamentally because Sunday morning my lower back felt as if it had been slammed with a cricket bat.



See how flat those mofos are? Sleeping in the crevasse=getting hit by a cricket bat in the lower back. So what did we decide to do yesterday? Glad you asked; we decided to buy large things at Ikea. Large things that had to be loaded in the FJ and then unloaded in the garage.

Honey had this lovely massage thing from Brookstone I didn't know about and we took turns spending time with it.

Meanwhile, I was riding my bike around campus today and did something to my bad knee. I'm fine sitting. But walking, no so much.

The coporeal and kinesthetic is part of my life, whether I like it or not. Still, right this minute, I might start hitting people and things with a cricket bat if something else goes wrong.   Those mofos hurt.  Don't say I didn't warn you.

9 comments:

Deborah said...

Noted. Feel better soon.

wenwhit said...

Ack. Sorry you're hurting. Have I mentioned how much I've enjoyed your writing recently? :)

Feel better, my friend.

Shauna said...

Yipes. Hope you get plenty of relief from your massage(s).

eb said...

I've decided. I do not want t get hit by a cricket bat. Get better soon. Too bad you don't drink wine. That would totally help.

The Misanthrope said...

You make me realize that we need a new mattress, but those things can be very expensive for a good one. As a kid and teen I used to put my bed next to the wall so I could sleep in the gap between the bed and the wall. Hope you feel better.

Teresa said...

I've offered the suggestion of a body pillow to take my place. A large one. We could maybe even weight it with lead shot and dress it up to look like me.

Catherine Hannasch said...

Hello,

My name is Catherine, and I am a customer service representative with Select Comfort. I am so sorry to hear that you are having issues rolling to the middle of your bed. The good news is- we are here to help! There are several low-cost or no-cost things we can try to alleviate this annoyance for you. If you are interested in working through the issue with us, please give us a call at 1-800-472-7185. Please be ready with you and your name and address, you and your sleep partner’s (if you have one) preferred Sleep Number, your approximate heights and weights, and whether or not you feel like the sides of the bed are higher than the air chambers.

We are looking forward to helping you out!

Sincerely,
Catherine

My Sleep Number is 35

sporksforall » Select Comfort/Sleep Number cares! said...

[...] I just got this comment on my blog post about my back: [...]

sporksforall » Sleep, on not getting enough said...

[...] still haven’t solved the sleep number crevasse problem. (And before anyone asks, no I didn’t call them back, despite their offer to help. I [...]