Search This Blog

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Tiki room (and related) thoughts

On Tuesday, Honey and I decided to play hooky. There simply isn't a better place for playing hooky than Disneyland. Imagine your eight year old self. You want a day off. You want to do something superveryfun. What could be more superveryfun than Disneyland? Sex. But you're supposed to be imagining your EIGHT year old self. If you thought about sex a lot then, I don't want to know about it.

Theoretical fingers in theoretical ears... Lalalalalalalalalalalalalala Done with eight year old sex thoughts.


Ok, I won't give you a whole travelogue, but here's a highlight/thought list.

*They can dress it up all they want, but Innovations (in Tomorrowland)=superverylame.

*The redo of Space Mountain is awesome. It seems faster and you can't see the track any more. It's like a roller coaster in space. Wait, it IS a roller coaster in space.

*Disneyland rides with pictures they take and then try to sell you do NOT take flattering pictures of me. Nope.

*This image is funny and is on almost every ride. I kept trying to be these people. My body won't do the things it suggests.



*Cynthia, who was having a birthday and brought her coffee onto Thunder Mountain in the pouring rain, reminded me of how great people can be. I don't even know her and we rode behind her on the ride for all of three minutes. Still, she and her friend Susan rocked.

*As a child, I was DEEPLY disappointed to have spent one of my E-tickets on 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (aka the submarines). The 35 minute wait we experienced on Tuesday did not improve my liking of it a lot. It was ok, but it was the longest wait of the day.



*I kind of loved (actually really loved) the Tiki Room. I'd never been there before. Full props to Disneyland for not tearing it out. It would not have been worth an E-Ticket, though.

*Fewer full props to them for tearing out the gallery above New Orleans Square for the new luxo-suite. I did like the Disney employee at the "Disneyana" store who described the gallery space as "having moved on to its next life." She did this all why I dripped onto the rug, having gotten soaked in the rain on Big Thunder.

*We didn't bottom out our Small World boat! I'm also pleased to report that Small World is less annoying at the holidays, because they intersperse Christmas songs with the eponymous song. I'm not a fan of either, but less of both overall makes it more bearable.

*I was pleased to do Tomorrowland first. Why we always do Adventureland first is beyond me. I'm a big T-land fan, Innovations notwithstanding.

*Bring back the People Mover.



*Indiana Jones has gotten more jerky. Panic attack inducing jerky.

* I know, I know, SOMETHING has to make you want to go to California Adventure, but why oh why can't Tower of Terror be in D-land? I heart it but not enough to pay $20 more to ride it.

*I wish we had parked on the Daisy level instead of the Mickey level. I've never much cared for the mice. The ducks, I like.

*La Casa Garcia has really good albondigas. Really good albondigas tastes especially good when you're wet.

*I would say I need a rain coat, but I live in Southern California.

*The best part of the day? All of it, of course. What's not to like? A day with my Honey at Disneyland.

I like my inner eight year old sometimes. She has good ideas.  Besides, my outer 39 year old can afford to buy her extra E-Tickets.

At the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki room...

7 comments:

the misanthrope said...

B2 was just there. I believe he thought that the Tiki was lame and pushing the line on political correctness. I have never been. I have not been to the Magic Kingdom in 11 years when daughter was 12. After that expensive visit, I said she could return with a date.

Sporks said...

Oh, no question that the Tiki Room pushes the boundaries of political correctness. I like the weirdly fifties aesthetic, despite that, though.

sandra said...

The Tiki Room is my *favorite* thing at Disneyland! I love the Bing Crosby parrot especially. And pineapple ice while you are waiting.

Why were Cynthia and Susan so fabulous? I need more anecdotal details.

Sporks said...

Cynthia was six feet tall and very funny. She kept talking about how famous she was. We picked up on it and started talking about how honored we were ti be riding behind Cynthia. Susan kept announcing it was her unbirthday and probably our unbirthday, too. We should therefore all be celebrated.

Toward the end of the ride, Cynthia said that the water that had hit us was her drool, not rain. It hit just the right level of outgoing and hilarious.

Teresa said...

It's odd when you meet a couple of folks you know you're only going to "know" for a few minutes and have a really great time with them, such that you think maybe you should know them for the rest of your life. But we met Cynthia and Susan on the last ride of the night, we were sopping wet by the end of it, and how exactly do you approach exchanging contact info with people based only on the strength of a three-minute ride experience ? Still, I wish we had somehow done just that.

SassyFemme said...

What great way to play hookey!

Never been to Disney in CA, but adore the one in FL.

alice, uptown said...

I remember the submarine ride from 35+ years ago: I was 10, and when we looked out the windows, we could see the air-bubble-making machine attached to the side of the "submarine." Has the technology improved? At the time, we were not impressed -- and Disneyland was a big deal; California was a big deal -- particularly since I've hugged the Atlantic my entire life, except for various and sundry excursions. (Never been to Disneyworld; got too old for Mickey, too impatient, and way too horrified by the fascist attitudes they advertise.