Search This Blog

Friday, October 27, 2006

Bags

I'm a bit of a bag collector. No, let me confess. For all my love of shoes (Crocs!), blingy bikes and bike parts, my desire for a LCD big screen teevee, etc., there is nothing that makes me feel quite so zingy as my bag(s).

I have just exited (I think it is safe to say) an semi-obsessive Timbuk2 phase. I still have a mini-metro and laptop bag that I will use, as well as a pleasing "design-your-own" classic messenger in red, ivory, and steel. My Timbuk2 phase is over, though, in part to a bag they only made for a minute, a vertical European design thing. I really liked. It was my default bag. But, mine has worn out and looks frayed and there's not a replacement to be found in all the land.

The Timbuk2 experience is nice. The bags are well made and have a funky color palette that appeals.





I also have a "nice" bag that is a distressed dark leather. I like it, but it's a little big and has no top handle. I use it when I want to take myself seriously, which isn't very often.

My custom Timbuk2 is great, save one key issue. I don't wear much red and it clashes. It's hardly it's fault, but it's still true.

Recently, I had been coveting a Chrome bag. Tough, roomy, bike messengery, great logo. What more could you ask?



Yesterday Honey and I had plans to meet folks for dinner in West L.A. I knew said bags were sold at a bike store over there. Honey was kind enough to both accompany me and tell me that the bag (which features a seatbelt buckle to open and close it) didn't make me look dorky. She may have been lying, but I chose to believe her.



It's deeply unpursy. I keep staring at it. I heart it. Be jealous if you must, but here it is:



Mine's grey. Contented sigh.

3 comments:

Teresa said...

I know your bag fetish well, particularly since you have a tendency to never entirely empty those bags you have forsaken. They're like little time capsules, your ex-bags.

weese said...

ooo.
I sorta have a thing for bags too.
tho I have managed to keep it in check for some time.
As soon as we can cut loose the teenager sucking money out of our wallets, pockets and furniture cushions - i may revisit this...
until then - I will live vicarious through your bag blog entries.

WenWhit said...

I was totally going to dis this post because I kinda-sorta HATE purses... but the seatbelt-buckle bag is cool. Nice choice, Sporkster.