Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Academic treats and tricks

I always jokingly complain that Halloween is the worst time of the year for folklorists because we (especially if we're listed in a university's expert directory as I am) get called to explain the holiday. Last year I got three calls. I did my little rap about the origins of the holiday and its changing nature over time. I've got it down. It sounds good. I'll tell you how to spell and say Celtic words like Samhain. I can be all authoritative. I get quoted. Usually it's for teeny tiny give-away papers. Still. Me, an expert. Imagine.

This year? No calls. Not one.

It is way worse than no kids coming by the house for candy. Honey and I have Gummi-Savers--a fat free food--to give away. Maybe I'll tell the kids about Samhain.

Or not.

2 comments:

Teresa said...

I suppose you could have if we had had a single trick-or-treater last night!

I don't know about Samhain. I know I could Google it right now, but I think I'd rather have you tell me about it.

WenWhit said...

All I know about Samhain came from Halloween (the movie). You can educate me further when you visit, unless you'd prefer to turn that side of your brain off during your mini-vacation.