Search This Blog

Thursday, October 05, 2006

My county appreciates me

Los Angeles County is grateful for my jury service. How do I know? They said so on the check they just sent me for mileage.

Jury duty by the numbers:

Number of days I served: 2

Amount I was paid by the County: $0

Why? State employees don't get paid for jury service

Total mileage reimbursement: .68

Cost to mail me the 68 cent check: .39

Number of jurors questions for the 12 juror, 2 alternate panel: 80

Number of jurors in the panel not questioned: 8

Number of sporky bloggers in the latter group: 1

Previous juries by sporky blogger: 1

Number of decisions reached in that case: 1

Sporky jury found in favor of? The people

Previous jury alternate experiences by sporky blogger: 1

Sporky juror was alternate #? 2

Other bloggers who have served as alternate #2: scout, weese

Number of decisions reached in the sporky blogger alt. #2 case: 0

Level of conviction by sporky blogger that she would have helped grease the cogs of justice: high

Number of times sporky blogger has been called and not served on a jury in any capacity: 2

Number of times she was both grateful and a little disappointed: 2

Suggestions now being taken for what to do with the 68 cents. The thanks of a grateful county were all I really needed.

Oh, and one non-jury number...

Number of wins through week 4 by sporky blogger in the blogleague (where she serves with great distinction as the commissioner (or not)): 0

5 comments:

WenWhit said...

I can appreciate the ambivalent feelings associated with not being selected. Welcome back to your regularly scheduled life, you State employee you.

Oh, and the football league? I think you're taking self-sacrifice too far by throwing the games just because you're the commissioner. Go ahead, win one.

bryduck said...

I was the very last person in the waiting pool when my first real jury call finally filled all the spots. I was thinking the whole time, "Hey, what's wrong with me? Why don't you all want to hear my story?" My second call, I got to answer all the questions, made it through all (there were about 14 or so) the dismissals for cause, and then was unceremoniously dismissed peremptorily the first chance the defense attorney got. Hmph.

Suzanne said...

Sixty-eight cents as mileage reimbursement? What, do you live on the same block as the courthouse?

sporksforall said...

I live about 1 or 1.5 miles from the courthouse. And they pay for a one-way trip. So...68 cents is for 2 miles.

The same block as the courthouse? That would be so cool! Or not. :)

Teresa said...

We live quite close enough to the courthouse, thank you very much. Which may explain the number of offenders who pop up when we type our zip code into the sex offender register. They need to be close to their parole officers, you know.

Alternate juror #2. Sigh. Though I met some awesome ladies during the trial, and we were at traffic court, which is next door to a city culinary arts school, where you can eat their morning's lessons for lunch (at fast-food prices)!