Search This Blog

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Wherein insult meets injury and they jump on blunted spork tines

This year, for the first time in my adult life, I paid money to play fantasy baseball. I was invited to join a league by my brother. I studied. I took notes. I had a list. I got up at 7am on "spring forward" Sunday and drafted my team.

Today, I received the wrap-up e-mail for the league. I was nominated for several "worsts" by the league. Worst trade (Cole Hamels for Brady Clark) and Worst draft choice (Pedro Martinez for $38).

I finished in last place. By a lot. Part of that was that I traded away my high priced players for keepers. But I'm not even sure I did that well.

My "best" move wasn't nominated for anything: Bronson Arroyo and all his white boy cornrows (plus 14 wins and a sub 4 ERA) for $1.

And then...

I got to the bottom of the e-mail. And I owe the most for transactions. Why? Because all my lame-ass stupido players got hurt and hurt again which meant I had to sign worse than lame-o stupido players.

Did I mention that I'm, also losing (again badly) in the blogger fantasy football league? I am.

Bottom line it for you? Ok...

It cost me $121 to lose.

And the only thing I know for sure: Arroyo and his cornrows will be giving me fits next year again. For $3 instead of $1.

Happy postseason baseball.

Rest in peace, Cory Lidle.

3 comments:

chapin said...

Sorry to hear about the baseball league but you'll be playing me soon in Football...I can almost promise you a win that week.

Teresa said...

This is the first I've heard of the final expense of this league. I'm not sure I can allow you to play games with your brother in future, not for money anyway. I disapprove of giving your brother money.

Suzanne said...

So five months of entertainment for a mere $121? A bargain I say, a bargain. :)

I've never played fantasy baseball for money, but I've lost $$$ at fantasy football. The trick is to get your significant other to fund your entry fee. Then it hurts less. Well. Just a little less. ;)